What software to use for photo editing/video editing (Sony RX100/Canon G15)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am about to to get either a Sony RX-100 or a Canon G15 and would like to know what software is good for photo editing and video editing.

I have previously had an Olympus Tough and just used the software that came with the camera (that camera could not shoot RAW) for photo editing...and for video editing just the Windows Moviemaker.

Both cameras come with the Sony or Canon software that provides basic features for photos
If you want to take it to the next stage you need to look at programs like lightroom and if you want the absolute best photoshop

For video the programs differ as the editing is different depending on which camera you will get some may even not be compatible in the RX100 case

For photo editing I love Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. For video I use Pinnacle Studio HD, iMovie, or Cineform. I am considering purchasing something along the lines of Final Cut.

For photos, Apeture
For video, Final Cut express

With those camera choices, you may as well try the provided software first and see how you like the result.
Havent used either but as both are point and shoot, you may not want to spend loads on software

If you feel like spending money Lightroom is a good software for small adjustments and library management it has some good integration with flickr and the rest although it is not as powerful as Photoshop
Photoshop comes useful when you have pictures that need major editing like backscatter situations that in lightroom are basically manual
However if you are good at UW photography you will be fine even with something like iPhoto and the provided software by the OEM

Photoshop is the best for editing photos. As for video I highly recommend looking at sony vegas pro. It is my personal favorite.

The software provided with the camera (Digital Photo Pro) does a fine job sharpening, and adjusting white balance on your RAW photos. It's fair at adjusting contrast, and lighting levels. It's good at processing into jpgs, and resizing batches of photos for uploading to the web. You'll need a copy of Photoshop that integrates with your current camera (probably the NEXT edition available). Last year's version probably will not work with the G15.

I have Photoshop Elements, and Photoshop. I hardly ever use Photoshop, as Elements allows me to remove backscatter manually. Disclaimer: I'm not big on post-processing. WB and sharp are the most I use 99% of the time. It's only when I have a really good photo that I worry about every grain of sand, and sadly, I don't get really good photos that often :D. I think for most folks, Photoshop is overkill. I use it so seldom, that I have to teach myself how to use it whenever I fire it up (it's a resource hog too). If you're not selling your photos for money, or displaying them in an art gallery, save the extra cash and get something cheaper that does what you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom