What suits does the Cousteau team use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know what kind of suits that the Cousteau team is utilizing? The blue ones. Anyone else like them? At first I didnt, but they are kinda of growing on me just because they are different.

They look custom made. They have their logo on them as opposed to a manufacturer.

I too thought they were a strange shade of blue at first. Now I kind of like them. I wouldn't mind having one of the rashguards.

Oceanic. Jean-Michel and Bob Hollis (Oceanic founder) are good friends.

Oceanic has sponsered Cousteau with open circut gear for several years. The special blue color is also evident in the Inspiration rebreather covers, masks (Kirby Morgan), and fins (Force Fins).

I was always curious about the suits worn by the original Cousteau Team (and parodied by "Team Zissou"). Anyway, I asked rndboulder, a SB member; here's his detailed answer:

"There were many different manufactures of the Cousteau Suits over the years. The first black and yellow suits made for the Undersea World Series were manufactured by Beuchat. Later versions were made by La Spirotechnique, US Divers and Others. The Silver Suits were made by a private individual using a special Neoprene from Japan. The silver suits would turn yellow in the sunlight so they had to put sunscreen on them when doing shots out of the water."

I have it on good authority that they used Silver spraypaint on divers when the suit did not look right (Cousteau not Zissou).

Thalassamania:
I have it on good authority that they used Silver spraypaint on divers when the suit did not look right (Cousteau not Zissou).

I guess that's not too far-fetched considering the DIR divers use black spray paint on all of their gear and c-cards

Just kidding guys... :D

Back
Top Bottom