what the different between using Nitrox and Normal Air to dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You totally certain about that i.e I can breathe a pO2 of 1.4 for as long as I like and not worry about CNS toxicity?

Damn.Obviously wasted my money on that silly Trimix course.

(I agree with you about the pulmonary issue.Lets just consider CNS)

Have you seen 'recreational' liberally sprayed inside my message ? There is a 150 minute limit for gas with ppO2 1.4 but that's hardly recreational and waaay longer than NDL at the same depths for 32 and 36%

The statment "The Navy Experimental Diving Unit said the increased risks of using Nitrox at depth far out weigh any benefits." came from a phone conversation I had with a Navy Master Diver at the NEDU when I called to ask about nitrox.

I have two questions.

When did this conversation take place. In the last year, last 5 years, last 10?

Was the term "at depth" clarified by the person you spoke with to give a specific range? 30', 50' 100'?

Funny thing is that I work in the bldg directly behind the NEDU bldg, when I left to lunch a bit ago, I was actually tempted to walk in there and ask them what is their position on NITROX, then I came to my senses...not only is Friday afternoon during spring break so very few people would be there, also I remembered the cartoon with the guy telling his wife he can't go to bed just yet because someone in the internet is wrong.

If you check in at the quarterdeck, feel free to drop by Bldg 300 Rm 204 (x3316) and we can chuckle over this thread.

This is the most entertaining misread of the Navy Diving Manual that has ever been brought to my attention.

Keith

PS: We often dive the Jetties Friday after noons with some of the folks from Diving Life Support if you are up for a dive -- and we use Nitrox :>

This thread contains too much missinterpretation to be easily corrected.

Please see the NEDU section of the Rubicon Foundations repository for technical reports: Rubicon Research Repository: Navy Experimental Diving Unit (NEDU)

It should be noted that Navy manuals are written for Navy Diving and need to be interpreted for use by Recreational and Technical Divers. This process is normally done in collaboration with University researchers and Training Agency representatives. Reports from various diving research agencies are found at: Rubicon Research Repository: Rubicon Foundation Archive

The information we are currently allowed to post is limited without processing our posts through for command review - we are permitted to post links to technical reports, etc and to make statements that have been made previously in a public venue (UHMS Scientific meeting, etc) or confine our remarks to those of a personal nature.

On a personal note, as a member of the NEDU decompression research group I have no problems with teaching a recreational nitrox class as a PADI Instructor.

Keith

This thread contains too much missinterpretation to be easily corrected.

<snip>

The information we are currently allowed to post is limited
without processing our posts through for command review - we are permitted to post links to technical reports, etc and to make statements that have been made previously in a public venue (UHMS Scientific meeting, etc) or confine our remarks to those of a personal nature.

Just for clarification, can you elaborate on who "we" is, or at least "you?" It seems pretty obvious, but then again so did a lot of things in this thread...

Just for clarification, can you elaborate on who "we" is, or at least "you?" It seems pretty obvious, but then again so did a lot of things in this thread...

I am a civilian decompression researcher at the Navy Experimental Diving Unit.

By we, I meant NEDU personnel.

A previous XO encouraged us to post on this and other boards without requiring review of information posted (he had the NEDU forum created). Our current XO does not share this interpretation of rules, and now requires review of previously unreleased information. I have made a post using the new review process, but it requires a few days and does not fit with the information flow of an internet forum.

Keith

I am a civilian decompression researcher at the Navy Experimental Diving Unit.

By we, I meant NEDU personnel.
Thank you for the elaboration and your contributions. :thumb:
A previous XO encouraged us to post on this and other boards without requiring review of information posted (he had the NEDU forum created). Our current XO does not share this interpretation of rules, and now requires review of previously unreleased information. I have made a post using the new review process, but it requires a few days and does not fit with the information flow of an internet forum.

Keith
I can assist with the "flow" problem if you like. If you see a post you really wish to answer, if you will just quote it and reply "response pending" then notify me once you get approval, I can merge your answer into that post to help maintain the flow of the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom