what the different between using Nitrox and Normal Air to dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzielim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear diver out there,

Im jus very curious on nitrox. Pls help me to explain???
Whether with the use of nitrox can I stay under water longer while comparing with normal air at the same consumption rate?

Nitrox is a mixture with more oxygen and less nitrogen compared to air. The reduction in nitrogen gives you longer NDL times and allows you to spend more time at depth with less nitrogen loading in your tissues. The increased amount of oxygen also lend some additional considerations to keep in mind.

It's not going to have any effect on your consumption rate, so if you're running out of air before you hit your NDL time, Nitrox is not going to benefit you much.

^They finished long before me^

I"m not certified, and one should be before diving nitrox. From what I understand there is less nitrogen in the mix so there is less loading so longer bottom times before you NDL.

Don't quote me on that and i"m sure someone smarter will answer.

..... Whether with the use of nitrox can I stay under water longer while comparing with normal air at the same consumption rate?....
Short answer is ..... for a "No Stop Dive" (defined as a dive where you can ascend directly to the surface without having to do a decompression stop - of course a safety stop at 15ft/5m for ~3minutes is always recommended) using a Nitrox mixture (also called "Enriched Air") your No Stop Time will be longer than the one you will get by using Air.
Of course you should also make sure to NOT go deeper than the specific MOD (Maximum Operating Depth) of the gas mixture you are using.

Even shorter answer: enroll in a Nitrox class :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

When people talk about "longer bottom times" with Nitrox, they're not talking about lower gas consumption. They're talking about lower nitrogen loading compared with air at the same depth, for the same period of time.

Two things form the limits for the typical recreational dive: gas supply, and no-decompression time. Nitrox doesn't change the former, but extends the latter.

Less nitrogen loading, resulting in longer NDL times and shorter surface intervals. Some divers feel better after a dive(s) (less fatigue). Using Nitrox below 20m (65ft) is a must IMO. Nitrox have no impact on your gas consumption/usage.

Why's this in the technical forum?

Good point. Moved to advanced.

Nitrox was invented by NOAA for use at shallow water decompression stops not for diving at depth. The Navy Experimental Diving Unit said the increased risks of using Nitrox at depth far out weigh any benefits. For that reason I have never gotten involved in Nitrox but in all the posts in reference to using it I have never heard anyone talk about taking an oxygen tolerance test first. This test is standard operating procedure in commercial diving though for different reasons. Do the people teaching Nitrox have anyone take that test?

Last edited:
Nitrox has advantages over air. The decreased nitrogen in the mix means you have reduced nitrogen loading. That means that you can stay at depth longer without reaching your no decompression limits. Also, it shortens the surface interval you need between dives.

However, you increase your exposure to oxygen. Oxygen is toxic at high levels and can cause convulsions (something to be avoided whilst scuba diving). So you have to watch your oxygen levels and your nitrogen levels whilst diving. Functionally, this is not a big factor if you do not push the depth limits whilst diving on nitrox.

The problem is that diving on nitrox does not increase your gas supply. If you are an air hog and use up your gas quickly, you probably do not get anywhere near your no dec limits on air. So why bother with nitrox?

Another drawback with nitrox is that it costs more for a fill than air.

Some poeple claim that diving on nitrox makes them feel much better than they would after diving on air. I suppose that nitrogen loading could have a significant effect. But I have never heard of anyone doing a double blind study on this one. Given the fact that the placebo effect is quite large on drugs, I would think that the claims for any benefits of nitrox in this regard would be a placebo effect.

So if you are making repeititive dives and nitrogen loading would be a problem in diving with air, nitrox can give you enough of a reduction of nitrogen loading to make a meaningful difference. I believe that most live aboards (where many dives in one day is common) offer nitrox.

If you are an air hog or you are diving only a couple of dives in the day and not pushing your nitrogen limits, diving on nitrox really is not that much of an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom