What the...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nusspli

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this 'thing' last summer, or maybe it was two summers ago, and I have no idea what it could be. :confused: It was about 12 inches or so. I tried to pick it up but I was holding on to the rock really tighly, like it was suctioned there.

It obviously doesn't have an outer shell or exoskeleton.

I'd love to know if anyone has seen another one of these- or if I have discovered a new species of sea life...

jessica

There is another pic that looks like this on the post
" Who can ID this? " By " drbill " and eventualy tells
what it is. " At least it looks like the same critter.

TRIG
:)

Hi TRIG,

I can see how you would think that the two are the same. But it's not an aplysia. Aplysia look more like a typical slug, while this creature was oval and bumpy. The only view of it I saw is the one in the photo. I didn't have time to find out if it had an obvious 'head'. Additionally, I saw this creature on the East Caost of the US, at Cape Ann, and Aplysia live on the West Coast of the US.

Thanks for trying though.

Jessica

Science Note: Aplysia are used to study senstitation and habituation during long term and short term memory.

I suppose it could be a sea cucumber. If so, it's the fatest one I've ever seen. Usually they are slenderish.

Sea Cucumbers come in a wide variety of shapes and widths. They can contract and stretch out. Stretched out, they are thinner than when contracted. It is a Sea Cucumber, no doubt at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom