What time is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
When is the best time of night to dive? Do you go out as soon as the sunsets or several hours later? I was wondering if maybe the dive shops scheduled them for sunset out of convenience and that was not really the best time.

Tom

Hi Tom

Dusk is a fine time for night dives IMHO for several reasons:

1. You can gear up before it gets completly dark
2. My body clock doesen't allow me to dive at 3 a.m.
3. With a bit of luck you'll se the life in the sea change from day life to night life.
4. In the summer it doesn't get dark here untill 10-11 p.m. or so in the summer. And it never gets fully dark.

But never forget that night dives are the top (or bottom?)

DSAO

It really depends on where you want to dive too! Night dives are usually better either at dust or dawn, so you can see both day and night creatures, and the changing of the watch so to speak. Sometimes I have to dive later than normal because of either my or my buddies work schedules. For example we didn't get to hit the water until 11pm tonight.

Tip: When lobster hunting they will come out at different times throughout the season.

Around here it's often times more benficial to dive later, especially on the weekends when parking spaces are scarce at the beach.

.......but then that shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me. Dusk dives are fine and you do get to see changes take place. OTOH, most divers never make a true night dive, they merely make dark dives. The world continues to change as time passes. I prefer dives in the middle of the night. Everything is different at midnight. I rarely make night dives because, for the most part, they bore me. Those rare times I've been able to dive in the middle of the night are exceptions. Those dives stick out in my memory clearly.

WWW™

Hi Tom,

I'm with Walter on this one. Only problem is it's difficult to get dive ops to take you out that late, or even to get live-aboards to allow you to dive in the middle of the evening.

Do enjoy your night diving.

DocVikingo

Tom,

I guess it's personal preference. Hard to find buddies that want to dive in the middle of the night -- then again, this is one of the main reasons many people solo dive...And of course when you have a 4 and 6 year old who are going to come bounding into your bed at 6:30AM the next morning.....diving at midnight with a 1 hour drive home can become a little old. That being said, I may try some early morning diving this spring to see what it's like to dive just before dawn. I think the dive shops schedule them earlier in the evening out of convenience -- also, they may not get many people to show up if they frequently schedule them in the middle of the night....

There is something to be said for trying your first night experience at dusk -- especially at new sites or if you are still mastering equipment set-up. Having a little daylight to help get yourself oriented to the site and getting your gear put together can be helpful.

I've done all of my night dives just after dark and I find them all interesting -- lots of things to see that are hidden during the day and the added "excitement" of the dark. I'm still marveling at the 10-12 pound lobster I saw on a night dive last summer...HUGE. Perhaps my favorite are the schools of squid we often see here in New England. On many occasions I've had several of these guys (up to 12 inches long) hovering inches in front of me staring right back at me -- transluscent color -- very cool. I also love snorkeling back in at the end of shore dives with my lights off, occasionally waving my arms in front of me and watching the luminescent creatures light up the water.

Enjoy!

I vote for anytime I can get wet!
I love dawn dives, late night dives, dusk dives. Every dive is a "world class" dive if you do a little homework first and then keep your eyes open and pay attention.
Do 'em all and decide for yourself.
Rick

My wife and I would like to try it in Cozumel in a few weeks. The dive master we use is pretty accomadating, and the hotel has a sunset dive. Sounds like whatever works out could be an interesting experience.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom