What to bring to dutch springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave about $10k worth of gear laying around there all the time. Never had a problem. Your cooler and chairs should be fine.

:cool2:
well in that case, where do you leave your gear, and ill leave mine right next to it :D

Have fun at Dutch. I think everybody covered as much as possible. If you want to expedite your entry into the quarry, print out the waiver from their website Dutch Springs and have everything ready to enter. I wouldn't leave gear lying all around when you are diving, but it's a pretty safe place. A lot of divers interesed in just diving. But you can always get one jerk........

Take Koz's advice. Dive around the island. There are a lot of fish (largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, big rainbow trout and if you are lucky, some really large and cool pool koi), and the plane is OK @ 25 feet. There are also a lot of other things that are good. The helicopter suspended at 40 feet is one of the best sites, and a decent wreck dive for a quarry is the Silver Comet in about 55feet.

Dutch is close to my home, so I am there a few weekends a month. I see people coming in from CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA. I believe it's one of the best quarries for diving. Have a great time and safe dives.

One thing to consider is that shops frequently claim many tables as their own, even though they have no intention of actually using them. It's an annoyance to the n'th degree for those who show up with no shop affiliation and who would just like to have a friggin' table to use.

If you don't show up early enough to thwart the evil mega-shop table grabbers who grab 12 tables for 4-6 members in their group, then you'd better be prepared to hunt down a table in the nether reaches of the quarry or beg for some space from someone else.

Once you've failed that mission, be prepared to plop yourself and gear on the ground and just ride out the day. Dutch Springs can be fun, but it's less so when you're independent, just trying to get your fins wet.

Take Koz's advice. Dive around the island. There are a lot of fish (largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, big rainbow trout and if you are lucky, some really large and cool pool koi), and the plane is OK @ 25 feet.

And if you can flip some rocks without kicking up silt, and happen to find a crayfish, the bass will eat it out of your hand. :D Pretty cool to watch.

I like to show up friday, set up my tent do a few dives. Next morning I am up early 6:30 eat some breakfast throw my gear on the closest table to the water so I am not lugging across the parking lot to my table. I am geared up and ready to go in by the time they let you hit the water. Walking up that little hill is a PITA enough lol.

Where is it stony on the bottom dig up some crawdads and feed them to the bass. Thats always fun for me lol. The platform-school bus-plane is a cool dive. The helicopter is cool to and just going along the wall at the drop off can be fun too. Check out the pump house if you are in for the swim too.

I usually bring lunch, and a big cooler packed with ice and bottled water. Along with the tent, sleeping bags etc...

By Saturday early afternoon it can be busy, so I try to get my dives in early and be ready to leave by noon. If your camping out bathrooms for showers at around 7pm are usually pretty empty and water pressure is great then.

This weekend Ill be there just Sunday for the day. So most likely I will be at a crappy back table in blasting heat lol.

We dive the walls quite often too. Actually, I'm off to go there now, and do two wall dives with a buddy. Having seen the attractions many times, we opt for the underwater scenic route instead of the attractions, which we have seen a lot. My buddy and I circled the quarry a few weeks ago. He was in his rebreather, I had my double 85's. We both brought our 30 cu. ft. sling bottles, and stayed at 2 atm's for most of the dive. It was fun, but after 111 minutes, and a 2+ mile swim, I was sick of having the mask on, and the regulator was cramping my jaw in the worst way (we stayed out of the way around the student training spot). The walls are great, cool rock formations, and looking up at the surface from 34 feet is a good view.

I'm not sure, but I think they would like to see a C card of some kind with you!:D

If you don't like to camp there are places (hotel, motel)to stay less than 5 mins away.

& I also left gear laying around at Dutch . Never had a problem....is it my gear is crappy? ... it might be the smell!?..?????????? Some divers are just honest! Have a good time and dive safe.
See you topside! John

One thing to consider is that shops frequently claim many tables as their own, even though they have no intention of actually using them. It's an annoyance to the n'th degree for those who show up with no shop affiliation and who would just like to have a friggin' table to use.

If you don't show up early enough to thwart the evil mega-shop table grabbers who grab 12 tables for 4-6 members in their group, then you'd better be prepared to hunt down a table in the nether reaches of the quarry or beg for some space from someone else.

Once you've failed that mission, be prepared to plop yourself and gear on the ground and just ride out the day. Dutch Springs can be fun, but it's less so when you're independent, just trying to get your fins wet.

I agree, a few weeks back there were some issues with a group taking not only all the tables, but moving peoples gear while they were in the water and taking up an entire entry point.

I like to get there early and go to the very back where the pump house is theres 1 table there i think and porta pottys close by and its away from the action for the most part. There is some big Koi there to !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom