What to Choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
+1 with Ken.
And why do you think you need bluetooh and AI? Do you really think these features are a must have to improve your diving knowledge?
Get a cheap basic computer, plan your dives, analyse them, play with the different parameters on free desktop-phone applications and you will learn a lot.
Do not ever believe that investing in equipment will make you a better diver:wink:

Hi
+1 with Ken.
And why do you think you need bluetooh and AI? Do you really think these features are a must have to improve your diving knowledge?
Get a cheap basic computer, plan your dives, analyse them, play with the different parameters on free desktop-phone applications and you will learn a lot.
Do not ever believe that investing in equipment will make you a better diver:wink:

One of the best reasons I have seen for buying a computer at all and one with AI specifically came from Alec Pierce on YouTube. He argued that computers made diving more fun, rather than continuously having to make a plan and dive the plan you could be a little more free and have fun knowing a computer was doing live calculations for you. AI adds to this by calculating gas time remaining.

Fully get your logic of mastering fundamentals, it is sound, particularly if someone is on a track to do advanced or technical diving. But for the pure recreational diver without those ambitions having the freedom to enjoy and have fun also make sense.

It’s all about having options and figuring out where you want to go on your underwater journey.

I want it but I'm not going to upgrade to WAI until I get my own regs, and at the kind and the amount of diving I do my own regs make little financial sense. So if OP is not yet certified and is alerady after a WAI computer...

Back when I was diving OC I happily used the OSTC 2 for many years. Before that I used a pair of Aladin Pros from the end of the 90s version (can't change the battery yourself) that I would tilt on every trimix dive, and have to use as a bottom timer/depth gauge for following dives untill the Aladins cleared and reset.
Now I've got Shearwater Predators as controllers on my RBs and Petrel II Fishers as the 2nd computer on each RB. Tried Shearwater HUDs for a shot time and found out that I didn't like them.

Michael

One of the best reasons I have seen for buying a computer at all and one with AI specifically came from Alec Pierce on YouTube. He argued that computers made diving more fun, rather than continuously having to make a plan and dive the plan you could be a little more free and have fun knowing a computer was doing live calculations for you. AI adds to this by calculating gas time remaining.

When you have done a bit of diving you will discover whether the stuff spouted on the Internet matches your own experience.

I personally find AI quite handy for logging, which leads into planning. However, “Gas Time Remaining” doesn’t stop you needing to have a general plan upfront to make sure you start with enough gas.

Diving, and especially internet diving, is terrible for giving the impression that you “need” some bit of kit. Really you need to go diving and find out what matters.

When you have done a bit of diving you will discover whether the stuff spouted on the Internet matches your own experience.

I personally find AI quite handy for logging, which leads into planning. However, “Gas Time Remaining” doesn’t stop you needing to have a general plan upfront to make sure you start with enough gas.

Diving, and especially internet diving, is terrible for giving the impression that you “need” some bit of kit. Really you need to go diving and find out what matters.

Interesting assumption in your post, and a condescending way to put it. I've been certified since 1993.. I would have not said what I said had it not matched my experience, but often listing to other points of view, even those on the internet, give you either an alternative perspective or a better way to express what you thought already. I have found Alec Pierce a wonderful resource, someone who has been diving since the 60s but it still open minded enough to re-evaluate old rules to see if they still apply.

Interesting assumption in your post, and a condescending way to put it. I've been certified since 1993.. I would have not said what I said had it not matched my experience, but often listing to other points of view, even those on the internet, give you either an alternative perspective or a better way to express what you thought already. I have found Alec Pierce a wonderful resource, someone who has been diving since the 60s but it still open minded enough to re-evaluate old rules to see if they still apply.
Why the need to quote some YouTuber then? Why not say “x is good because I find y”? A proper problem, quite evident on this thread, is the internet echo. A lot of people say brand X is **** because blah. But how many have personal experience of blah? How many say that because they read/heard it here, or elsewhere on the internet?

Why the need to quote some YouTuber then? Why not say “x is good because I find y”? A proper problem, quite evident on this thread, is the internet echo. A lot of people say brand X is **** because blah. But how many have personal experience of blah? How many say that because they read/heard it here, or elsewhere on the internet?

Because giving credit to sources is the proper thing to do. Alec put into words something that I could not express as eloquently, it is proper to give him credit for it. It also highlights him as a resource for valuable information for others to research and either accept or discard, that is the nature of peer review and the purpose of citation.

On another note what you did with me is called an ad homenim attack.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hominem attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

Because giving credit to sources is the proper thing to do. Alec put into words something that I could not express as eloquently, it is proper to give him credit for it. It also highlights him as a resource for valuable information for others to research and either accept or discard, that is the nature of peer review and the purpose of citation.

On another note what you did with me is called an ad homenim attack.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hominem attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.
By your definition practically everything written on this board would be an ad hominem attack. Did you read the accident thread where they all out compete each other over what buoyancy means while insinuating a lack of physics knowledge?

Are you trying to argue that the stuff spouted on the Internet is all true and entirely applicable? And in particular that there is as much value in reported, second hand, opinion as in person experience?

There is no peer review in YouTube. It is exactly the opposite of peer review. People with opinions make video spouting those opinions. They can be telling you the earth is flat and there is no editorial board to bet told “hmmm, the experimental design needs work” by actual peers who actually know something about the subject. Thus there is no process to ensure that YouTube videos are correct, real or true in any way.

Citation usually would involve a paper published, an author and a date. Something which would allow someone to find the specific supporting information.

I want to make two points here, and neither has anything to do with “loosenit2”.

It is very very very sad when a new diver turns up with some inappropriate bit of kit they bought because of what the internet said.

What the internet says about dive kit is often quite bogus, and not based on facts.

The people with an issue will always shout loudest because they are annoyed and have been let down. When people begin to parrot that you get what we see on this thread about Suunto.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Warning

Let's cool it in here and return to the matter of assisting the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom