What to do about the zebra mussels in Millbrook?

What to do about the zebra muscles in Millbrook?

• Leave them alone they’re improving visibility.

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • They should be hunted down and kilt.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Relocation program, find them good homes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It’s not a coincidence that Scuba446’s aviator appeared in the van at the same time.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • This like all such polls is stupid so I’m not answering.

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's not much to damage at Millbrook. The aquatic-life is minimal, but enjoyable. The quarry is not a source for drinking water in the area to my knowledge. The biggest problem is divers unknowingly transporting and infecting other lakes and bodies of water. But that can be avoided by thoroughly drying gear out.

I'm all for better vis... and the larger ones are just the right size for some delicate dishes.

I say leave them alone.
Ken

What exactly could they do to harm the quarry? I have not read much about them so am not even sure what harm they do to other bodies of water. We have a Millbrook-esque quarry here in NC that could use some clearing up. It is only 10 minutes from my house so having 5' of vis is a real bummer.

I would make the hour and a half drive to Rawlings any day of the week to avoid this one.

Oh, it is named Fantasy Lake...too funny.

Tommy

Did anyone else see the article on the Zebra Mussels in Millbrook in the latest issue of Dive Training Magazine?

Mike

My guess is that in time Va. DNR will poison the quarry and, perhaps, shut it down entirely. The story in the Post indicated they were concerned about contamination of the nearby stream. The financial impact of the things on the Great Lakes is significant.

If The Post is to be believed, The Dive Shop's attitude isn't likely to help. They haven't seem to have figured out that flipping-off a government agency with the jurisdiction to get a court order to shut down the quarry isn't a good long term strategy.

A BC flush station and gear rinse tank with high copper or tin ion concentrations will do in most bivalve larva. If a decent Cl ion concentration is maintained as well most other micro critters won't survive either. After a suitable "dwell" (say the time it takes to haul the gear to the fresh water rinse staions) live larva and eggs being transported to other fresh water bodies will be impossible. Of course a truck load or two of copper sulphate into the quarry will end the problem temporarily, and take out all invertibrates and algae in the system. Once the ion concentration has dropped the quarry can be reseeded with suitable micro-organisms. If the fish aren't fed in the meantime you'll get to start from scratch there too.

OTOH fighting those critters is like trying to bail out the Bay of Fundy on a rising tide. Like the Brazilian Pepper in FL swamps, they are simply going to be a thing to contend with until something develops an appetite for them. They're now all the way down the river to New Orleans and working their way upstream on most tributaries in the Mississippi basin. The odds of the east coast rivers and streams staying clear of them is pretty small, unless all migratory waterfowl in the east coast flyway are exterminated.

FT

...late last year- after diving at Millbrook we got rain, so I rinsed gear in the bathtub rather than with the hose outside. Literally had one of those wake up in the middle of the night realizations that I may have rinsed mussels into my septic system.

How do we find out what Virginia's plans are for the quarry? Something tells me "The" Dive Shop wouldn't be the best source of info.

I just read the Dive Training article.

I found the statement that the Virginia Department of Game and Inalnd Fisheries accused divers of deliberately introducing the mussels into the quarry to improve visibility interesting.

Wasn't there some conversation in jest about this sometime last year in threads? Maybe state officials monitor the board.

Marc

Finally, I read the Dive Training magazine and it confused me and I hope that someone would be able to explain it to me.
The article about the zebra mussels in Millbrook on page 20 says:

“ the mussels have spread through the Great Lakes and major rivers, killing marine life, clogging drinking water intakes and costing billions of dollars to control.”

I have no problem with that, but in the same magazine and in the same issue on page 95 an article about Portage Quarry Recreation Club says:

“The lake supports a significant population of freshwater fish, including largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, carp, northern pike, walleye, channel catfish and yellow bullhead. Crayfish, turtles and zebra mussels can also be spotted.
The proliferation of zebra mussels, which has seriously damaged some ecosystems, has thus far benefited Portage by improving the visibility.”

I feel that they have two faces, the first article stating that the mussels are too bad for the environment and for our daily life, but in the second one, they are bad for some ecosystems.
Could anyone explain it to me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom