What to do at safety stops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xman:
I don't think we are talking about stops where there is stuff to look at. I assumed we were talking about open water stops, where all there is to look at on the safety stop is water.

Oh, and if you need to "grab onto a strand of kelp" then you would be better using the time at your deco/safety stop to refine your hover/buoyancy skills IMO

There's plenty of kelp at your safety stop in California, unless somehow the diver has made a mistake and is doing the stop at 15' above the water.

The kelp reaches the surface.

If you want to watch the little fishes in the kelp, you usually grab the kelp at your safety stop, because the current moves the kelp quite a bit and it's hard to see otherwise, and could very easily wrap around you as well.

Xanthro

game boy in a plastic bag.

Failing that, I try to figure out how to end world hunger, and determine why men have nipples...

Xman:
I don't think we are talking about stops where there is stuff to look at. I assumed we were talking about open water stops, where all there is to look at on the safety stop is water.

Oh, and if you need to "grab onto a strand of kelp" then you would be better using the time at your deco/safety stop to refine your hover/buoyancy skills IMO

Wow, why the slam? BTW, You know what happens when you assume? In this case I guess it only applied to you.

The subject was clearly talking about safety stops. There was no disclaimer as to there not being stuff to look at. In some places that will include Kelp. In some cases the surge at 15' would require you to grab onto it to keep it in sight since you would be looking for small critters.

Get bored mostly. 3 minute safety stops are tolerable without much to exercise mentally but deco stops of 10 mins or more get tedious fast especially in normal low vis conditions where you cant see the surface or the bottom.

Ive seen some people play naughts and crosses on a slate or even hangman etc. I can usually kill a few minutes by mentally going through what happened on the dive and critically analysing it to a certain extent. Ironically i find the less i concentrate on buoyancy the more stable my buoyancy is on a stop. If im doing something else my stop holding is more accurate than trying to follow a dial.

mweitz:
In some cases the surge at 15' would require you to grab onto it to keep it in sight since you would be looking for small critters.

Surge and Kelp. Two words that sould never be put in the same sentence. To watch the kelp dance as you do decompression just turns my stomach. I have to close my eyes and go for a snooze when I'm faced with that.
:l:
JK

String:
Get bored mostly. 3 minute safety stops are tolerable without much to exercise mentally but deco stops of 10 mins or more get tedious fast especially in normal low vis conditions where you cant see the surface or the bottom.

Wait until you do stops over an hour. That's when boredom really sets in.

Kennedydive:
Wait until you do stops over an hour. That's when boredom really sets in.

That is when you need a National Geographic. it takes about an hour to read it and will last ok underwater. Only good for one dive though.

Turn the page, Read the page and rip the page off when you're done. I tried it with a playboy but for some strange reason my drysuit flooded through my relief zipper.:banghead:
:lol3:
JK

Back
Top Bottom