What to do in a down welling/down current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a wicked story, Ed. Thanks for sharing.

In hindsight, I'm not sure I had enough lift in that BC to counter it without a weight drop, which I was considering; but getting away from the underwater waterfall stopped it much more safely. And an inexperienced (or narced ) diver might not even know what's happening till it was pretty serious. Ed

I've thought about the above statement many times before Ed put it in his post. When looking for a new BCD a year or so ago I came across many new "Travel BC's" touted by the manufacturers for diving in the Caribbean/Tropics as well as (can't think of the company right now) kits that pack into a rolling cart that is the size of a carry on bag and fins that look like kiddy fins.

I've been diving the Caribbean for many many years (both land based and live-a-board venues) and have been in situations where this equipment would leave even an experienced diver in great peril. I thought about the currents I've experienced, the huge swells, the rough seas (all in the Caribbean.. and many years younger in age) and then tried to picture myself in just one situation while using a BC that gave virtually no lift or fins that wouldn't get a little kid across the pool. I also noticed that the manufacturers of these travel kits and BC's don't advertise their lift unless you really dig. While they look great and are light as a feather I just couldn't see buying one because of the experiences I had been through which didn't include any serious upwelling or downwellings like mentioned lately on SB.

I've seen a lot of these travel kits being pulled through airports so you know people are buying them. I can't imagine myself in choppy or rough seas (which happen everywhere) in one of these BC's or in a downwelling with fins that are just a bit bigger than my feet.

I opted for a Zeagle Stiletto (not an advertisement but a wonderful company) that gives me 35 pounds of lift when fully inflated. Even at that I still wondered if it was enough to keep me safe if I happened to get in a situation like mentioned above or became separated from the boat for any length of time especially carrying 30 pounds of camera gear that I would ditch if in an emergency situation.

If I didn't have a ton of experience and dives under my weight belt in different conditions I'm sure I could have been swayed by the sales people to purchase these light weight travel items thinking that I wouldn't need them in tropical climates and/or how great they pack because you can just roll them up stash them anywhere. I kept thinking of some of my past experiences (that weren't anything near like what I have been reading lately) and I opted for the heavier equipment and more powerful fins. After using the new equipment on several trips I've since realized I made the right choice even though they are heavier and more bulky to pack.

Last edited:
No way that my BC alone would fit in a legal roll-on bag I don't think, nor my fins, but they are the ones I practice dive in and travel with - regardless. :crafty:

No way that my BC alone would fit in a legal roll-on bag I don't think, nor my fins, but they are the ones I practice dive in and travel with - regardless. :crafty:
You would be suprised what can fit where lol. I love how the hydros packs, can fit bcd, 2 regs, 2 DCs, dsmb, 2 masks, reels, lights etc in what is technically a personal item not even a true carry on. The fins strap to the back back and exceed even carry on sizes. However if I was ever questioned about them I could swap for my shoes and wear the fins onto the plane. I have not been approached, and hope never to be approached as it would be awkward.
I've thought about the above statement many times before Ed put it in his post. When looking for a new BCD a year or so ago I came across many new "Travel BC's" touted by the manufacturers for diving in the Caribbean/Tropics as well as (can't think of the company right now) kits that pack into a rolling cart that is the size of a carry on bag and fins that look like kiddy fins.

I've been diving the Caribbean for many many years (both land based and live-a-board venues) and have been in situations where this equipment would leave even an experienced diver in great peril. I thought about the currents I've experienced, the huge swells, the rough seas (all in the Caribbean.. and many years younger in age) and then tried to picture myself in just one situation while using a BC that gave virtually no lift or fins that wouldn't get a little kid across the pool. I also noticed that the manufacturers of these travel kits and BC's don't advertise their lift unless you really dig. While they look great and are light as a feather I just couldn't see buying one because of the experiences I had been through which didn't include any serious upwelling or downwellings like mentioned lately on SB.

I've seen a lot of these travel kits being pulled through airports so you know people are buying them. I can't imagine myself in choppy or rough seas (which happen everywhere) in one of these BC's or in a downwelling with fins that are just a bit bigger than my feet.

I opted for a Zeagle Stiletto (not an advertisement but a wonderful company) that gives me 35 pounds of lift when fully inflated. Even at that I still wondered if it was enough to keep me safe if I happened to get in a situation like mentioned above or became separated from the boat for any length of time especially carrying 30 pounds of camera gear that I would ditch if in an emergency situation.

If I didn't have a ton of experience and dives under my weight belt in different conditions I'm sure I could have been swayed by the sales people to purchase these light weight travel items thinking that I wouldn't need them in tropical climates and/or how great they pack because you can just roll them up stash them anywhere. I kept thinking of some of my past experiences (that weren't anything near like what I have been reading lately) and I opted for the heavier equipment and more powerful fins. After using the new equipment on several trips I've since realized I made the right choice even though they are heavier and more bulky to pack.

I agree and if I hadn't intended to use my travel rig as a cold water rig as well, I might not have insured I had as much lift as I do. The hydros claims 40lb of lift. I've tested it with 45lbs of weight and tank and it is positively boyount at 20 and 10 ffw without being fully filled to point of overflow. This is with 3/4 full 100 tank and weights. Those travel kits with 20lbs of lift wouldnt cut it for me in normal circumstances.

As for personal experience in strong down currents, I dont have any. 1 of my 2 dives last year on Santa Rosa wall did have moderate current along wall, 3 knots or so and in a few spots it trended downward. It was as simple as lifting above the very edge of the wall and moving closer to the top of the reef. It took effort and we descended from 80 to 100 ft before we could recognize the downwelling and react. It was an oh s*** moment, but didnt cause panic or any require any special reactions.

Uhhhh you thread necro'd an 8 year old thread............lol.

In addition to the suggestions here, there can be clues that you are just about to hit a strong down current. I hit one at the end of a drift dive a couple of years back at Thomas Reef in the Red Sea. Stupidly I should have realised why jellyfish were flowing down like a waterfall in front of me. Also look out for small reef fish pointing upright as they feed into the current.

About three years ago my buddy and I were in Coz and out with our regular OP. The OP had charted his boat to a PDC shop for the day, so the plan was he would dive with my buddy and I. My buddy and I were rescue cert at the time and very familiar with Cozumel sites. I say this to point out that the water is no respecter of training and experience. Anyway, we made a deep dive plan - - - basically to drop over the wall, blast down 140' and level back off around 110'. We drop and everything is going to plan....the OP and myself were closest to the wall and my buddy was slightly to the outside of us BUT was positioned in between a cut out. Everything is going fine...So, I start watching my computer to make sure I start a slight upward turn after hitting 140. When the we level off at 110', OP and I see my buddy still finning down...we estimated he was at around 170'. I grab my rattle and start shaking the hell out of it and just as OP and I were about to go after him....he turned, looked up, and saw us. He got control of his dive and slowly made his way back up.

He had reached 185' and had ZERO idea what was occurring. He thought he had only kicked 2-3 times and figured were right next to him at around 135'. His computer showed he continue to fin downward a full 60 seconds before he heard my rattle.

Our post dive assessment led us to conclude two things occurred....namely 1) he got caught in a down current in that cut out which pushed him down faster than he thought, and 2) clearly a narc hit, as he had no time perception about how long he had been finning, how fast he was descending, and where we were. We assume he eventually got free of the down current without even knowing it, as once he "woke up", he was able to manage a controlled slow ascent to meet up with us at 90'.

Very thankful I clipped that rattle on years ago...if it weren't for that noise that snapped my buddy out, OP was about to go after him and I was probably going to drop a bit lower to have OP transfer him to me if it was needed.

Moral of story is be alert.....you may never even recognize when a down current gets control of you. Constantly be aware of your depth and be ready to respond.

Back
Top Bottom