What to do in Orlando (That doesn't cost a ton)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'll be in Orlando next week for 5 days. I'm signed up to do the Epcot dive, and plan on doing the usual Disney stuff on Thursday and Friday. But since my funds are somewhat limited this trip, I thought I'd ask the locals what they recommend for fun things to do/good food/deals/etc. that don't cost a ton. I'm going to be at the AmeriSuites on Calypso cay Way in Kissimmee (and wasn't planning on renting a car) - so anything you can suggest will be appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Dave

My suggestion would be to buy an Entertainment Book from a nearby CVS/Walgreens. It has a whole host of coupons for buy one get one free for food, activities and various other things that you might want to do. The book usually pays for itself in about two coupons. Your best bet is to get some kind of bus pass, you can move along US-192 (the main strip from Kissimmee to Disney) and up International Drive with small things to do for half days etc. I assume you are coming with the kids if you are doing Disney etc? Without a car your options might be limited to cheaper things to do. Otherwise i would suggest a state park, going up to Winter Park, down to Bok Tower, going out to the airboat rides or even getting out to the coast (Cocoa or Melbourne are your closest). The entertainment book also has car rental discounts as well :wink: So far this year we have probably saved around $6-700, last year we saved over $1k using the coupons, of course we use a bunch of the coupons and live here year round!

After i replied here, i saw your other thread on the same subject in the main forum, we generally dont allow multiple posting, but seeing as the threads are being moved around in the current shuffle it might be hard for people to find it, so i'll let it slide.

The suggestions made in the other thread are also very good. If you want to check out where buses run, go to the lynx website for times and routes. I would suggest looking through one of the coupon books and seeing what attracts you. These books are about $25 in November, but might run cheaper now as there is only 5-6 months left on them before the 2008 one comes out. There are also coupon books at some hotel entrances that might have similar deals and are free which you might want to check out as well - it might stretch your cash further - trust me, its what we do and we have plenty of fun on our trips with limited outlay! :wink:

simbrooks:
After i replied here, i saw your other thread on the same subject in the main forum, we generally dont allow multiple posting, but seeing as the threads are being moved around in the current shuffle it might be hard for people to find it, so i'll let it slide.

The suggestions made in the other thread are also very good. If you want to check out where buses run, go to the lynx website for times and routes. I would suggest looking through one of the coupon books and seeing what attracts you. These books are about $25 in November, but might run cheaper now as there is only 5-6 months left on them before the 2008 one comes out. There are also coupon books at some hotel entrances that might have similar deals and are free which you might want to check out as well - it might stretch your cash further - trust me, its what we do and we have plenty of fun on our trips with limited outlay! :wink:

Hi Simon,
Yeah, after I posted this one here and saw it wasn't getting any views (and my trip was fast approaching) I decided to post the other one thinking I'd be able to then delete this one. Unfortunately I didn't have (or couldn't find) that option.

Thanks again!!!!

There is only one thing to do in Florida. :D And also check the invasion of the lionfish too. I want to see that.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom