• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Discussion in 'Bonaire' started by bryanmc57, Aug 3, 2016.

1. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Great White

2. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    One trip several years ago we encountered this. What a hassle! We ended up duct taping the fob out of site but close enough to start the engine and taking the key with us. Thankfully we had never seen this before nor since.

Lorenzoid and Trailboss123 like this.
  3. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Dan-
    An old Ikelite, or any similar vintage 1980's dive light. A lot of the Ikelites that use an "F" cell (6v lantern) battery would certainly hold that, once you removed the bulb assembly. You'd want to check the X-ring or o-ring seal on the power switch though, they're due for replacement by now.(G)

4. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

Yup. Even in shopping malls, there are crooks WATCHING constantly to see if anyone moves things to their trunk, or stashes things. If you're going to stash something under your bumper or in the wheel well...You've got to stash it before you reach the parking area, or it is only "half stashed".

5. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

I have left a fob buried in the locked car, while just taking the "emergency key" that can open the doors with me. But I think especially if I was stashing the fob someplace where it could be reached, I'd also take a minute to pull the battery and either stash that separately, or maybe slap some duct tape over it (the battery) and take it diving anyway. If someone gets the fob and it doesn't work...I don't think they'll bother looking for batteries.(G)

6. Rred

Rred Manta Ray

"• Would a thief really steal prescription sunglasses?"
    Brand name frames can cost an easy $200+, so off the back of a truck that's a fast twenty bucks.

"NRS Aquapac Keymaster - 608" good down to 15 feet.

"S3 T2000 Watertight Dry Case" I think S3 are the folks who bought the Otterbox molds. S3 says 80', Otterbox said 90-100', both for limited times. I use an Otterbox for beach and boating, but I've got limited confidence in the big rectangular o-ring for something like a $400 car key fob. Oh yes, a fast $400, because you need to replace it, reprogram the car, do an entire dance.

When "underwater camera" meant Nikonos and there were few options, I used a small peanut butter jar (heavy glass, nice rubber on the bottom of the lid) as the dive container for my light meter. Added some silicone seal as insurance, but that PB jar never complained, never leaked. I might have to try taking one down again, without the silicone seal.

7. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    In this case the fob alone would not start the car. They would still need the key that we took with use diving.