What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WellBelowH2O:
If she's bored with reefs in 2-3 days, she's not looking at them closely enough or diving the same reefs over and over. :)

"not looking at them closely enough..." Bingo! WellBelowH2o hit it. "Are we going to see anything different on the next dive?"I've heard that comment several times also. It's another way of saying "I'm bored." Amazing! Most of us can find a patch of reef, settle down and spend most of the dive right there because it's constantly changing. I noticed that the divers that get bored with a reef are the ones who rocket all over the place not really "seeing" just "looking." I would tell her that if she would just slow down and really seek and observe the reef in action, study the movements and habits of the variety of life, etc., that she will be amazed as to what's really there. I think you would really be doing your friend a favor. My $.02

If you were to say anything to her, I'd simply say something like, "Oh, I can watch reefs for a week, because there are so many little creatures hiding under things, and there's so much animal behavior to see if you slow down and watch." And then let her do her thing, which may not be animals or their behavior at all.

One of the greatest things I have done for my diving was to take a Marine Life ID course taught by a wonderful man here in Seattle. His goal was to show us that there were more things to marvel at in the sea than Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf Eels. Because of him (and following NW Grateful Diver's example, too) I learned to look for life in every kind of shelter, including old tires and beer bottles. There are no boring dives if your eyes are open and you are ready to be surprised. You appear to know that already and she does not -- lucky you!

Everyone is different, I'm not a reef person either unless there are swim throughs or it's a REALLY nice reef that other divers haven't beaten to death. I don't go fast but I have a really short attention span and need to be looking for something specific or "doing" something, picking up trash from a reef is a lot of fun for me as is trying to find that "really cool creature" that was "right here" until I tried to show my buddy.

Personally I prefer cold fresh water and wrecks especially natural ones, warm water and wrecks is a rare treat :)

Respect your different preferences as divers, you don't have to say anything to defend the type of diving you prefer.
Ber :lilbunny:

sure, one way to not "get bored" is to slow down. But really, you're underwater, boyant , in the Caribbean sea, it's quiet, colorful, peaceful - I'd be happy just looking at everyone's bubbles. Bored? Come on.

Ber Rabbit:
I'm not a reef person either unless there are swim throughs or it's a REALLY nice reef that other divers haven't beaten to death. :lilbunny:

I know what you mean. Lush reefs just can't compare to Gilboa........

She's another one who looks but doesn't see...

Walter:
I know what you mean. Lush reefs just can't compare to Gilboa........
Now, now. I said I enjoy NICE reefs, a lush reef reef is one thing, one that's been beaten to a pile of rubble and dead coral is another and unfortunately those are the easiest to find. What's wrong with enjoying a quarry anyway? Oh wait, its "boring" :wink:

Diver Dennis:
She's another one who looks but doesn't see...
Glad to see you know me well enough to say that :wink: I do see but it's like a television program, the little critters defend their territory, they eat, they nest and some clean bigger critters. My husband can sit and watch the same movie time and time again, once I've seen it I'm usually done with it unless it's something I really enjoyed and then it's worth a second look but rarely a third. Now if I have a camera with me and am hunting for critters to take pictures of that's something for me to "do" and I can spend all day on the reef.

Why is it that I'm not allowed to enjoy cold water and wrecks? Everyone is different that's what makes us special.
Ber :lilbunny:

I can see your friend's point. I get bored diving because of......all that water...it's all just the same. Diving sucks.:D

I personally get bored of reefs as well. I suppose thats why I dive in maine mostly.

Diving with a mission (fixing/finding something) or deep dives are MUCH more fun for me. Infact I like cold water more than warmer waters. I feel like there is more of a challenge. Give me 30's* over 70's* any day!

There are just differnt kinds of people. Some are tourists and like and check out all the cool fish and reefs, and then there are adrenalin junky divers who get bored with things like that. Nothing wrong with either type, its just preference.

ItsBruce:
I think Fish_Whisperer is on the right track. Its like trying to teach a pig to sing. It frustrates you and annoys the pig. "That's nice" is a perfectly acceptable, pleasant, non-confrontational, non-judgmental answer. And, ask yourself this: "Is there any amount of argument, logic orr analysis that would change her view?"

Thank you for this answer....it sounds like exactly what I need to do. I do not feel superior to her in ANY way, nor do I have any issues with her wanting to do a different kind of diving than I may enjoy. There's no competition here and I refuse to even dive with her because I know it would be a nightmare for both of us. I've mentioned to her several times that clearly she and I have very different dive styles and preferences, but she continues to remark that we'll have to take a dive trip together someday. <sigh>

The part that's always frustrating for me is that she always ASKS me what I think, then pooh poohs it or seemingly puts it down in some day, all the while explaining why her preferred diving is "better". I get really tired of feeling like I'm being talked down to. I have other dive friends who really enjoy talking about different kinds of diving, the places we've all been, the things we've seen, and it's always a fun and pleasant conversation. With her, it's only fun and pleasant when we're talking about what SHE'S doing, so I think I'll just stick with the non-commital answers from now on...or change the subject.

Thanks for all the other answers too, other perspectives are always appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom