What to expect in St. Lucia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So in a few months I am getting married, and heading off to St Lucia for a honeymoon. SCUBA isn't high on the list, but its free with the resort so a few dives will happen.

I was wondering what to expect (temps, current, life, etc), if there were any particular dives we should be looking to do. The only caveat I'd put on this is Amanda is a relatively inexperienced diver, so we'll be sticking to shallower/safer dives.

Thanx

Bryan

3 years ago my wife and I went to St. Lucia on our honeymoon. We dove a good bit.

Expect near pristine reefs, lots of small fish, and good vis 50-100ft. ItÃÔ great for taking photos. If youÃÓe looking for big animals this is not the place.

Most of the diving that we did was 60 feet or above.
The water was calm, except for one day where there was a 1-2knot current. There are many reefs, and a few wrecks, and at least one wall that were very impressive.

As for exposure suits, 3 mill or a skin, depending on your cold tolerance level.

For someone just starting to dive, this would be a great place to gain confidence.

I stayed at anse chastanet in the winter. The water was very warm, current very gentle, and the max depth was very shallow. I imagine the spring/summer is probably the same but warmer.

Thats on the caribbean side so your mileage may vary.

I stayed at anse chastanet in the winter. The water was very warm, current very gentle, and the max depth was very shallow. I imagine the spring/summer is probably the same but warmer.

Thats on the caribbean side so your mileage may vary.

If it matters, we're on the west side of the island, just slightly more north than the island 1/2 way point. Forget the resorts name at the moment - its one of the Sandals resorts (Regency is in the name somewhere...I think).

Bryan

Diving is not great in St. Lucia. Honestly if you are staying at a Sandals I would not even bother taking your gear.

The diving I have done is around Anse Chastenet and it is just o.k. Much better places for diving in the Carribean than St. Lucia. It is mainly targeted towards British packaged tourist who tend to like to drink too much.

My wife and I just returned yesterday from 10 days at Sandals Regency. Due to the final stages of a cold, we didn't dive for the first few days, but then went daily. The Regency and Halcyon use the same dive facility, while the Grande Lucian has its own, but both go to the same dive sites.

Every morning there's a two-tank dive in the Anse Le Raye / Anse de Chastanet / Soufriere area, including wreck dives, wall dives, drift dives and reef dives. Typically, the first dive was in the 60' range for 45 minutes or so, followed by a SIT of 45-60 minutes and a second dive in the 45' range for 40 - 50 minutes. Times varied with the air consumption of the group's biggest breather.

Although not as rich as, say, Bonaire, the reefs still had a good amount and variety of coral, sponges, fish and other creatures. I'm not sure that I would go for a dive holiday, but I would most certainly plan on diving if I was headed there on holiday. I took all of my equipment, while my wife took only her mask, snorkel, reg, computer and skin. I had a 3/2 wetsuit but never wore it, sticking to swimsuit and snorkeling shirt as the water last week was consistently 81* - 82*F. Sandals provides all basic equipment, so you don't have to take anything with you should you choose not to.

The dive boats are Newton 46's, and with only small numbers of divers each morning, there was tons of space. The vast majority of divers were experienced, although there were a couple of days when newer divers were along for the dive.

The DM's and boat captains were excellent, both very knowledgeable and helpful. While Sandals insists on guided group dives, the small numbers and positive attitude of the DM's kept the dives enjoyable. The crew members were some of the best I've dived with.

Everyone must do an afternoon check out dive before doing the morning dives. The check out dives are short (30 min max) and shallow.

Hope that helps give you some idea of what to expect. Bottom line is that you should certainly plan to do some dives. You won't regret it.

I went to St. Lucia several years ago and dove around the Pitons using the Anse Chastanet house op. The diving is above average to average for the Caribbean. The best dive I did was Superman's Flight. So good I still remember the name. I saw the only Portugese Man O' War I have ever seen in the Caribbean. I remember lots of sea urchins as well. You might want to check out a night dive as we saw a lot a crabs and lobsters out and about after dark.

I went there 2 years ago and dove down by the Pitons. It was a forgetable experience. The locals are far from friendly. I won't go back. Make your honeymoon about you...not St. Lucia!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom