What to expect of San Andres?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've booked a group dive trip with my LDS to San Andres at the end of November. A few of them went last year and said it was some of the best reefs they'd been on. I was just wondering what else to expect of the diving there. Are the any large species to see, wall dives to go on?

Thanks,
Jim

We too are going to San Andres and know little about it except what we find on the internet. I have gotten prices from several dive shops but am not sure which one is best. Also am looking at staying at either the Acquarium or Coco (this one was recommended by a friend). Do you have any good info?

We have dived in Bonaire and the species seem similar except maybe more rays.

Well we're planning on staying at the Decameron Aquarium. My LDS owner and his wife stayed there last year and really liked it, but they didn't get out much outside of the local reefs I guess. This year we have a group of between 20 and 30 going, so we'll be doing more boat dives to different sites around the island.

I have been several times to SAI......the wife and son lives there.
The diving is spectacular…the best I have ever done with exception of Old Providence Island just to the north.
I have dove with all the DO on SAI, all are good, an I have been happy them and the experience they have shown me, you should be happy with any one you choose.
The best dive on the island is by far The Blue Wall, an absolute must. Being on the windward side of the island it is not always accessible. On the leeward side of the island are most of the other sites. There is a ledge along this side varying from a few feet drop to 10 feet drop, in 30 to 60 ft of water, lots of coral, sponges and animals. There is also a cool shipwreck on the sandy bottom in about 35 feet with the mast sticking out of the water in low tides which is great for fotos. Numerous patch reefs 10 to 25 feet on the north part of the island great for macro fotos and loads of stingray.
Acquarium and Coco are both nice resorts I have heard although I have never stayed at ether I have visited both.
The Acquariun is in the town on the sea so there is plenty to do shop, restraints, bars, ect. within walking distance.
Ccocplum is in or near San Luis on the sea, on the Sothern part of the island and away from the town center, it is more like a small village with a few restaurants around.
I would like to hear what you have to say about them after your trip.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ciao
Tad
ps:my DM friend does frelance dive guides if you are interested in getting personalized service for your dive trips, at DO rates

Last edited:
Jim, I'm very interested in your trip report when you return. I'm looking at this place for my next dive trip. I hope that all goes well with your trip and safe diving. Bob

My husband and I are going 11/15/2008 for a week. We are planning to stay at the Aquarium. It sounds like a safe bet being that we have never been there before. We are also going to dive with Werner Koester. His shop is close to the Aquarium. I will let you know how it goes.

Does anyone know what the likelyhood of seeing some sharks is?

Thanks,
Jim

I've read some great reports on San Andres. Would love to go there myself... as well as dive nearby Santa Catalina Island!

I've read some great reports on San Andres. Would love to go there myself... as well as dive nearby Santa Catalina Island!

Hi DR Bill
Just a FYI Santa Catalina Island is not nearby San Andres It is nearby Old Providence Island. Was acualy a part of OPI before Pirate Morgan cut a pass thru it back in the pirate days, i think in the 1700's

Back
Top Bottom