What to expect on OW cert dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having dove Monterey Bay a lot, I agree with a sneak practice with gloves AND hood. Get a proper fitting hood. If it makes you feel choked, that can lead to more anxious tension.
Don’t sweat the cold. Once you pee in your wet suit, you’ll warm up.

As i’m 98% sure you are getting certified at the same place I did, worth noting that wearing a hood/gloves is a normal part of the 3rd pool dive to get you used to it.

For our pool sessions we didn't do any navigation practice. Our instructor said we'd practice on land at the OW site before we dive. I am scared for that. I don't really know how to use the compass or what we are expected to do?!

For our pool sessions we didn't do any navigation practice. Our instructor said we'd practice on land at the OW site before we dive. I am scared for that. I don't really know how to use the compass or what we are expected to do?!
This is extremely common. You should be fine.

I enjoyed my OW certification course, I was so looking forward to the experience that i just soak it all in. Enjoy it I am sure you will learn a lot and don't worry.

We didn’t use compasses in the pool because I was told the metal rebar in the pool would interfere. You’ll be fine. I was awful with nav at first. It really helped later when my military vet dive buddy worked with me on compass use just on land.

The practice on land is helpful, and is done shortly before you dive and demonstrate it, so it will be fresh in your mind. The only difference between doing that skill on land vs underwater is that you are walking instead of kicking.
And you can practice with the compass by yourself on land as well to get the concept down.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet in this thread, but one difference that may make a difference is the water temperature when it comes to your mask drills. In pool, the water is likely fairly warm and you'll have done some maskless swims first anyway so it won't be a shock. In open water, especially where you are, the water temp will be quite a bit lower and you won't have had any of the parts of your face covered by the mask exposed to it. That matters because when you first flood or remove the mask in cold water, the experience triggers some deep reflexive responses which will probably cause you some stress. It's not awful by any means, but you'll be even more relaxed and will have a better dive if you're ready for it. Don't think too much about it; your cert dives will be fun, above all else.

You could practice with a snorkel in a sink of cool water first to get used to it (make sure there's capable assistance nearby in case something goes wrong). Get your mask and snorkel on, and breathe for a few minutes in the sink to let a temperature difference build up between the dry and wet parts of your face. Then remove your mask, keeping your face underwater. Get used to that feeling and it won't be an unpleasant shock when you do the drills in OW.

Other thing to note: pool water stings your eyes, so does unchlorinated fresh water. Sea water... doesn't! It's about as saline as your tears, so just feels like nothing really. Makes those mask skills even easier! (Sure, you can close your eyes, but these skills aren't a box to check, they're an essential safety tool for real diving later - practice them all the time, even after certification. Get comfortable trying to see underwater so if you lose a mask when some muppet fins you in the face you can recover it and continue the dive.)

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom