What to get for drysuit overboots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The drysuit I recently procured has the soft style booties. Much of my diving is from shore which requires trekking over some pretty rocky terrain making the need for some protection mandatory. I am looking for recommendations for which overboot to buy. The pinnacle boot I saw in person I was not impressed with. Also, I was wondering if there any other creative options that I should want to consider other than the use specific "rock boot"?

One other idea is that I like to fab things and have great access to both materials and fabrication equipment. I have been toying with the idea of fabricating my own waterproof style of boot with stainless steel inserts to provide some weight in the feet. I just am stuck on an idea of what kind of footwear I could use as a platform to build on. I am crazy or wasting my time? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

‘bob

Try converse all stars. I replaced my DUI Rock Boots with the All Stars and have had no problems. I know lots of other people here use them (that's how I got the idea).

Attachments

• drysuit shoes.jpg
    drysuit shoes.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 220
+1 for the Chuck Taylors. I went up 2 sizes from normal shoe size and the still fit in my Quattros. Cheap to replace as well

Try converse all stars. I replaced my DUI Rock Boots with the All Stars and have had no problems. I know lots of other people here use them (that's how I got the idea).

How big did you go over normal shoe size?

How big did you go over normal shoe size?

I wear a size 12 in regular shoes and went with size 15 for my Chucks. The feet on my drysuit are 5mm neoprene so that also had an impact on the size. If you go to the Converse website you can order custom Chucks with crazy patterns, skulls, your name, or about anything else you can think of.

The drysuit I recently procured has the soft style booties. Much of my diving is from shore which requires trekking over some pretty rocky terrain making the need for some protection mandatory. I am looking for recommendations for which overboot to buy. The pinnacle boot I saw in person I was not impressed with. Also, I was wondering if there any other creative options that I should want to consider other than the use specific "rock boot"?

One other idea is that I like to fab things and have great access to both materials and fabrication equipment. I have been toying with the idea of fabricating my own waterproof style of boot with stainless steel inserts to provide some weight in the feet. I just am stuck on an idea of what kind of footwear I could use as a platform to build on. I am crazy or wasting my time? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Interesting idea to fabricate your own drysuit overboots! Just the right amount of crazy, so I like your style! :D

I'm presently using DUI Rockboots, one or two sizes larger than my shoe size, depending on how much insulation I have on my feet (a third layer for temps below 40F.

I'll take another look at Chuck Taylors sometime, but I'm really looking for a canvas type of shoe with more instep height to accomodate the heavier insulation. Avoiding constriction points on the instep is definitely warmer!

The alternative is to customize something like you're considering.... except I'd pass on the built-in weight. :)

I'd be concerned the built-in weight would decrease the flexibility and room inside the boot or fin pocket. I think ankle weights are a more versatile solution, although considered "training wheels" by those in the know.... :wink:

Your needs may be different than mine, but I don't need any more ankle support than light canvas provides, even when climbing granite riprap fully geared up. Light canvas is flexible at the ankle when finning and leaves more room in the boot for insulation and air.

So, here's what I'm considering doing: take a suitably oversized canvas shoe and increase the instep height by cutting and sewing in extensions on the sides of the instep strap, even close to the toes. It could even have eyelets along the sides to allow tightening when needed when wearing lighter insulation.

In any event, Rock Boots or Chuck Taylors would be a good platform for experiment, IMHO. Please post what you find works! :)

Dave C

I use wetsuit boots that are 1 size larger than my regular wetsuit boots. I don't need thick socks with the double layer of neoprene and the wetsuit boots kept me from having to buy another set of fins just for the drysuit.

Not to hijack but..... What size fins do you guys have? I have an XL set of slipstreams and I find I am going to buy have to buy a set of xxl to fit my foot in them with the drysuit socks and 5mm booties.

Custom boots with stainless weight inside, sounds like you might be on to something there.

Not to hijack but..... What size fins do you guys have? I have an XL set of slipstreams and I find I am going to buy have to buy a set of xxl to fit my foot in them with the drysuit socks and 5mm booties.

Custom boots with stainless weight inside, sounds like you might be on to something there.

I bought a pair of XL Scubapro Jets and had to resell them as my CTs were too wide to fit in the fin. My buddy has a pair of XXL Jets that he uses with his CTs and they are a bit loose according to him. There is a huge difference between XL and XXL Jets when you compare them side by side. Hope this helps.

I use Chuck's too, but ripped the insole out of them. Man those suckers were glued in there. I even used my head gun, but one of my friends came up with a better idea. Boil the shoes for a little while then work on removing the insoles. Chuck Taylor stew LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom