What to look for in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any thoughts on the Santi suits (other than maybe the price)? Doing my drysuit course through my closest GUE shop and going to be learning in a Santi.

Also, I'm curious what kind of glove systems people are using. Don't mind using wet gloves in the summer because it's not too cold for my hands and I have good wet gloves, but in the winter it'd definitely be too cold.

I have 2 friends that got new Santi suits last year. Both of them had issues. Basically, both of them were made too small.

For one of them, the suit was only too small when using thicker undergarments, so she sucked it up and kept the suit. The other, Santi argued a bunch and finally made him send video of him being measured again before they finally admitted that the original measurements were good and agreed to make him a new suit. The 2nd try fit him fine.

I ordered a Seaskin Nova 1 month ago. Due to be finished and shipped in another month. Made to measure and about 1/3 the price of a Santi. Of course, quality comparison remains to be seen.

I have been using the Kubi dry glove system for almost 3 years now and it is awesome. Machined aluminum rings (so, no chance of breaking, like plastic could). The rings come in different sizes, so you can get what works best for you. You don't have to live with one-size-fits-all rings that are bigger and bulkier than you need. I have only gotten wet hands one time since I got my Kubi setup and that was after 1 year when I finally wore a tiny hole of the thumb of the original rubber gloves that came with the rings. Oh, which is another thing - the gloves that came with the rings are Ansell G17K. I've been getting identical replacements for about $2 per pair.

I also prefer a neoprene neck seal

I also prefer neoprene seals

While I can't praise the silicone seals on my current trilam enough. My previous suit had neoprene seals, and they're much more of a PITA to don. I hardly notice the silicone seals and will gladly live with the disadvantage of them being more fragile and less durable than neo or latex (except for that particular dive when I discover that I've got a leak...)

Chris: How do you like the Fourth Element Halo3D? It seems you were cold in it (and I'm always cold) I'm looking for the warmest possible undergarment. It looks like it may be rigid because of the pad in it. Thoughts on what you prefer to the Halo as the main source of warmth?
I have the fourth element Arctic it’s actually too warm to be honest, I sweat like hell in it.

Any thoughts on the Santi suits (other than maybe the price)? Doing my drysuit course through my closest GUE shop and going to be learning in a Santi.

Also, I'm curious what kind of glove systems people are using. Don't mind using wet gloves in the summer because it's not too cold for my hands and I have good wet gloves, but in the winter it'd definitely be too cold.

The fit is superb. If you need to repair the suit, you will be without the suit for months. Within the last 12 months, Santi has had my suit for 7 months. It went back a second time because of an improper repair that ultimately led to a panel replacement on the suit. I know of another diver who needed a new zipper and it took about 3-4 months as well.

Frankly, it's rather disappointing, given that the company promises 30 day from acceptance into service queue. Reading between the lines, you could be waiting a very long time before the suit enters the "service queue." Not sure if Santi prioritizes its European customers but not having your suit for 3-4 months is rather less than appealing. If you have multiple suits and you don't mind not having your Santi for several months, they do fit very nicely.

Yeah I find that is a frustrating point with some suit manufacturers. My local Bare dealer said that it took ~3 months for some simple repairs for her last client. Folks near me are tending towards USIA or DUI simply because they are close, west coast-based companies and repairs are quicker.

The fit is superb. If you need to repair the suit, you will be without the suit for months. Within the last 12 months, Santi has had my suit for 7 months. It went back a second time because of an improper repair that ultimately led to a panel replacement on the suit. I know of another diver who needed a new zipper and it took about 3-4 months as well.

Frankly, it's rather disappointing, given that the company promises 30 day from acceptance into service queue. Reading between the lines, you could be waiting a very long time before the suit enters the "service queue." Not sure if Santi prioritizes its European customers but not having your suit for 3-4 months is rather less than appealing. If you have multiple suits and you don't mind not having your Santi for several months, they do fit very nicely.
Exactly the reason I bought a locally made suit.

Ease of repair issues are one of the reasons I got a USIA for my first suit and have a Fusion Fit (made in Canada by White's for AquaLung) on order from DRIS.

Bare drysuits happen to be a light nice fitting drysuit but I feel the material is way to thin as after some wear it develops leaks quite readily. Sort of like a lot of pin hole leaks.

Yeah I find that is a frustrating point with some suit manufacturers. My local Bare dealer said that it took ~3 months for some simple repairs for her last client. Folks near me are tending towards USIA or DUI simply because they are close, west coast-based companies and repairs are quicker.
USIA is local. (St. Helens, OR) Worst case you can drive there and get your problem handled. I'm very happy with mine (Sitech cuffs and neck)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom