What to look for in a new SCUBA tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just found someone with a small SCUBA store that lives in a town very close to me! That's great, because we live far from any real population density. They deal mostly on Ebay, but have a small storefront as well.

Problem is, I don't really know anything about buying tanks. Is there anything to look for or be be concerned about when purchasing a tank? I did buy a new one a couple years ago from a store that I trusted, so I just went in and bought what they recommended. Unfortunately they are now out of business.

Here's the link for the specific tank in question: 80cf Aluminum Scuba Tank "Midnight Black" **NEW** - eBay (item 350372469248 end time Sep-05-10 09:23:24 PDT)

Thanks!

Ted

current hydro dates and current vis sticker would be the 2 most important things.. That and 3000 PSI of air in it would be a bonus :)

If it's got a 2009 or 2010 Original Hydro date, it's a fine tank. It's stupidly expensive when you calculate in shipping cost.

For that price, I'd expect at least a tank boot included.

Thanks, I'll check on the stickers. Isn't $139 a pretty good price for a tank? I haven't seen it less anywhere else, but maybe our market is just high?

Thanks, I'll check on the stickers. Isn't $139 a pretty good price for a tank? I haven't seen it less anywhere else, but maybe our market is just high?

Scubatoys charges $149.95 and their shipping to WA is $20

Aluminum 80 Tank reviews and discounts, Catalina

I think the real question, though, is an AL80 the best choice of tank for you? Have you considered steel tanks?

I'd also be a little cautious dealing with a store that suggests you can buy the "finest regulator ever made" for $200.

Last edited:
Take a look at the manuf date on the tank. It will be stamped on the neck. It should be xxAxx the first 2 xs are the month and the second two are the year. The thing that looks kinda like a capital A or maybe an up arrow is Luxfers hydro mark. You must have the tank hydroded every 5 years, reguardless of when it is sold so it is quite possible to get a "new" tank that may need a hydro in just a couple of years. Hydros can be expensive - around $50 for vip/hydro/fill around here so IMO every year old the tank is, it's "new" value drops by $10.

The real question is if you need a tank at all. I bought one right after I got certified because I don't like to rent. The problem is that I didn't know about Visual and Hydrostatic inpections...more to the point, I didn't realize the cost of said inspections.

Look at it this way:
The rental fee at my LDS is $10 for a tank. The price to fill a tank is $8. Right there I would have to get 80 fills just to break even on the cost of the $160 tank. But, you also have to add on $15 yearly for a visual inspection and $60 every two years for a hydro.

Your numbers may be different, but you should consider the whole picture before buying a tank. If you do tons of local diving or you really don't have a dive shop nearby to rent, then it may make more sense to own one. For me I found that it wasn't worth it and ended up donating it to the college scuba program.

Good point Chris. Unfortunately I'm in a very rural location. I have a 1.5 hour drive ONE WAY to get to the closest rental location, which comes to about $40 just in fuel, plus of course the time . . . . Otherwise I'd be much happier to rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom