What to study before taking DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a good advice. Tech training takes you to a whole other level with safety contingencies, dive planning, equipment configuration..etc etc etc

Generally, I would rather buddy a tech diver than a divermaster any day.

I just finished up my DM and am starting to to work on AI. In my humble opinion, I think the biggest thing that you can work on is your water presence. The tests and the water work ( stamina, helping teach etc) are something that you do under the control of your Instructors and if they are worth there salt they will get you through it. What they can't do is to teach you how you look and behave in the water. We Dive Masters dive, that's what we do. We lead dives, we help plan dives, and we help certified divers dive better. You really need to dive well in order to be a good Dive Master. We of all the professionals are judged by our role model behavior. In the PADI system that concept is HUGE!!! New divers will look to us first, not the instructors, for how to behave and act. So, be sure you look like a rock star getting in and out of the water. Be sure your gear looks like your second skin. Dive like you belong in the water not the air, stay tucked up always with your arms your gear glued to your body. And lastly always have a good time with your "customers". Diving at the DM level is about interacting with divers and being sure they are having the time of their lives. Do that and every thing else will fall in line

Ed

From what you're saying - water presence equals comfort in the water. That comes with experience. A good reason to gain experience before becoming a Divemaster :D

Back
Top Bottom