What to wear in 69-70 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just dived 67-68 degree water for 4 dives per day (generally an hour). My 5 mm full suit wth 5/3 mm hooded vest and 5 mm gloves and booties was just adequate to keep from shivering. If I did it over, I'd take my full 7 mm and wear a lighter hood. It's hard to be too warm, it's really easy to be too cold

Best, Craig

Greetings Jandee and in your area I would just spend some extra and get a dry suit.
For multipul dives in those temps diving wet you will be cold by the end of day two.
For 68º to 70º temps multipul dives of up to an hour in length a drysuit with under armor and some very light fleece to end the week and it would be just about right.
That is my FL cave exposure protection once air temps reach into the 70º-80º range.

Thermal protection is no laughing matter and if you want to get the most out of the dive trip as I would I make the appropriate plans to be very comfortable.
Your air consumption will actually increase once your core body temperature starts dropping as well as the afore mentioned pains and stiffness.

Never thought I would be such a dry suit advocate but my dive times and age continue to grow.
I would take a dry suit if it were me.
Throw in the 3mm just for a mid week reality check or if you want to snorkel.
Good luck and take my advice for what it is just another opinion!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Here I go...recently back from Blackbeard Cruises (end Feb). Water temp range from 73 - 77 F. Air temp average 81F but windy conditions and toward end of week cloudy as well.

I did 20 dives out of a max of 21 averaging 4 dives a day. While back home in such condition I would be only wearing a full length 3 mm for two consecutive dives, I brought my full length 7mm (without the top shorty). I wore 3mm neo socks, Tusa short tropical booties and no hood and no glove but always wore a rash guard. I am not the cold type and my chest is moderatly hairy (hopefully does not apply to you...lol). I was comfy all week. Just in case I also brought my Bare Chicken vest and did my last dive wearing just that, rash guard and bathing suit in 25 ft of water. My GF did the same on last dive and after 30 mins I learned a new underwater sign for ...goosebumps.

My GF dove with her full length 7mm and very early in the trip she added her neo chicken vest as an undergarnment to her 7mm.

At four dives a day, jumping in a still damp wetsuit, windy conditions, etc I am not sure you will find a 3mm adequate.

7mm fullsuit over a 5/3 hooded vest, and 3-5mm gloves (insta dry gloves allow almost zero water exchange - spray soapy water to help don)

I will concur with the drysuit recommendations. Going to Key Largo in 2 weeks and the water temp is currently varying from 69-75 each day and with 4 dives a day planned, I will be diving dry. I will take my 7mil as a backup.

I have done two dives a day in my 5 mil but that was on a 90 degree day with time to warm in between. Also did it on a day with rain and 70 degree temps. Not fun at all. My new rule is below 72 water and 75 air - I'm diving dry. Or more than one or two dives a day in those water temps- the drysuit is going to see duty.

I would get a drysuit....4 dives a day in coolish waters, by dive two you will be cold. Especially if the water temps are around the 69-70ish mark.

I was in Mexico in January of this year, I brought with me my Henderson cold core 7/5, I wish I had brought a hooded vest aswell. I was cold towards the end of dive two...and in the cenotes, after 62 minutes each dive(our guide was awesome and did not want us to surface too soon - He likes long BT times.) water was on average 75....I was cold on both dives....Had a beanie, 7 mil boots and 3 mill gloves...

I rather be too hot than cold. It easier to cool down than warm up between dives...:)

For more than 2 dives a day (or just two long dives, or one really long dive) in 70 degree water I would be rocking my drysuit. a 4/3 with a 3mm hood just doesn't cut it for me anymore :( . One of the local dive guides in Hawaii (who was in the water every day) used a Xcel 8/7/6 semi-dry suit.

Peace,
Greg

I have done two dives a day in my 5 mil but that was on a 90 degree day with time to warm in between. Also did it on a day with rain and 70 degree temps. Not fun at all. My new rule is below 72 water and 75 air - I'm diving dry. Or more than one or two dives a day in those water temps- the drysuit is going to see duty.

It really shows that different people have different tolerances for the cold, and exposure protection must be adjusted to suit your own taste. I just did 4 dives in 68° water (2 per day) using 5mm suit, 5mm hood, & 4mm gloves. First day air temp was 72° and the next day was 47° and a little windy. Both days I was fine when in the water, although that second day it did get fairly cold once you got out until you dried off. However, it's pretty obvious that what is comfortable for me may not be the case with someone else.

One thing that I did notice, and my son & son-in-law who dove with me both agreed - we found it much easier to get our bodies adjusted to that 68° water temperature on a cooler day than it is on a 90°+ day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom