What to wear in 69-70 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going on a liveaboard and I'll be diving in 70 degree ocean water. I have a 3/2 full wet suit and hood. Plan to do about 25 dives during the trip. The last time I dove in these conditions I was cold. Would adding Under Armour top and bottoms under my wetsuit do any good. I'm trying to avoid adding a shorty.

I'm not familiar with Under Armour - Google says it's 'moisture wicking' which seems a bit pointless under a wetsuit. Check out http://www.fourthelement.com/wet_thermocline_womens.php warm and neutrally buoyant ie you won't need any more weight... you can wear a top and/or bottom under your 3/2

(edited link)

Last edited:
I doubt underarmor is going to provide any warmth. When I wear a rash guard it doesn't usually make much difference in warmth. I will say, a hooded vest makes a huge difference for me. I bought a 5/3 (hood/vest) that makes the world of difference in my 4/3 or 3/2 full suit. For $50 from wetsuit warehouse it was more than worth the money.

5 mm full with a ~5 mm hood----& ~ 5 mm gloves, & don't forget the booties, 7 mm there...

and bring a hooded vest along for underneath, just in case(toward the end of the week)....

That would be my best guess, we are all different

Going on a liveaboard and I'll be diving in 70 degree ocean water. I have a 3/2 full wet suit and hood. Plan to do about 25 dives during the trip. The last time I dove in these conditions I was cold. Would adding Under Armour top and bottoms under my wetsuit do any good. I'm trying to avoid adding a shorty.

It's all relative, I am used to warmer water than 21C (=70F) so I wear a 5mm semi dry in these conditions (with hood), particularly if doing multiple dives.

Even at 28C (82.4F) I wear a 3mm and hooded vest if 3 or more dives per day.

Guys I think the OP wants to know what he should wear, not what you wear. Different people have different tolerances for temperatures

Anyway, layering is more effective than a single thick suit - and more versatile - and the less buoyancy you add the better

Given that you were cold the last time, I think your best options are (in order of preference) ...

- add a neoprene vest to what you're already using

- get a thicker wetsuit ... a 4/3 or even 5/3

- add the shorty

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Guys I think the OP wants to know what he should wear, not what you wear. Different people have different tolerances for temperatures

I think the OP wants to know what she should wear ... :D ... and women tend to get cold easier than men ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ah... my apologies to the OP for the gender confusion/assumption. And SHE will find a link to the womens range of Thermocline wear on the link I posted earlier. I think it's a better option than a neoprene vest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom