What to wear in 69-70 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bit the bullet and get a 5 or a 5/3. No one gets warmer with more dives, we all get colder. You can only do so much with a 3/2 and the hassle of messing with layers over 25 dives is just not worthwhile.

I would still bring a hooded vest if you have one. Then you still have the option of adding even more neoprene.

There is simply no one correct answer to the OP's questions because (a) different divers have different tolerances -- one diver may be comfortable in 70 deg. water in a 3 mil. while another may get cold in 80 deg. water in a 5 mil. There is no hard and fast rule; and (b) Not all wetsuits are created equal. My Fourth Element Proteus 3 mil. is warmer than some 5 mil. suits I've worn. It really depends on how much water transfers through the suit which in turn depends on the fit, the type of stitching used and whether the neck and cuffs have seals.

Layering with a hooded vest is a smart idea as long as you remain comfortable and can move freely with the layers on.

Since you lose so much body heat from your head a hood can make a huge difference. Also, a hooded vest can help to reduce water transfer and keeps cold water that does enter your suit from running down your back and giving you that chilled feeling.

I think you stand to get more from layering a vest under a full wetsuit than from layering a shorty over it. Again, prevention of water transfer is the real key.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun and stay warm.

Personally, I wear a 3mm full suit with a 2mm shorty over it when I am diving water in the 60's. You may need more than that depending on your tolerance to cold water.

69-70, 25 dives I would be wearing a 7 mil and hooded vest and probably still get chilly the last day. On a recent liveaboard trip w/temps of 72/73, I started in my 7mil and hood, and moved to the 7 mil and hooded vest the last few days. I don't think anyone on the boat wore less than a 5 mil, and those with 5 mils had step in hooded vests over them. I would suggest having more layers available than you think you will need. Could you borrow another 3 mil to layer and avoid buying something you won't use again? You can always not wear something that you bring if you're warm enough, but if you don't have it on the boat and need it, you're out of luck!

Going on a liveaboard and I'll be diving in 70 degree ocean water. I have a 3/2 full wet suit and hood. Plan to do about 25 dives during the trip. The last time I dove in these conditions I was cold. Would adding Under Armour top and bottoms under my wetsuit do any good. I'm trying to avoid adding a shorty.

I predict you will be (technical term from the movie Austin Powers) "frickin' freezing, Mr. Bigglesworth!"

There is no doubt I represent the extreme cold end of the spectrum; I have done such trips, with those exact temps, and took a drysuit for 4 dives a day.

RedSeaSalemExpress.jpg

My wife, Janet, is more midline in temperature tolerance, and took a 5 mil with a hood, and ended up cold by midweek.

JanetProp.jpg

Every time I've tried adding something under a wetsuit, it's had the opposite effect desired, and made me colder. Panty hose (don't ask), poly long underwear, DuoFold, a dive skin. Never worked in the warmer department, the only thing that really has helped is a bibbed full hood.

All the best, James

I can only tell you my experience, but I'll add it in case it helps you with your decision.

I spent one trip diving in 66º to 72º water. Not a live aboard, but dived nearly every day. Two dives most days and a couple days with 4 dives.

I tend to be chilly. I wore a good 5mm full suit (i.e. good seals at wrist and ankle, etc.), a 3mm hood, neoprene booties, and very thin gloves (all I had). I was cold right away in the 66º water (in fact thumbed the dive), and okay-but-definitely-not-hot in the 72º water. I would gladly have switched for a 7mm, a hooded vest, and/or thicker gloves (not that my hands were cold, but just for overall insulation).

My buddy is one of those "always warm" types. He wore a good 3mm suit, a 7mm hood, neoprene booties, and thin gloves. He was warmer than I was, but I'm pretty sure he would have worn a 5mm suit if he'd had one. He was definitely starting to get chilly by the end of the high 60's dives.

I agree that the vest would be helpful; I rented one last year and it really helps with that extra seal at the neck. But personally, I can't imagine doing a liveaboard in those temperatures in a 3mm suit and not being miserable.

If you got the money to do a trip like that, you got the money to buy a good suit. A full complete 5mm suit and a hooded vest should be adequate.

Do not underestimate the thermal drain of doing 4 dives per day. If you don't have a warm suit, you will be cold, stiff, uncomfortable and dead tired by the end of a few days.

Sure anyone can do a few dives with a 3-2 suit in 70 degrees, but it is not FUN. I hate to be cold.. get a suit that will keep you warm, calm and comfortable..You will be safer too when you are not distracted by cold.

Going on a liveaboard and I'll be diving in 70 degree ocean water. I have a 3/2 full wet suit and hood. Plan to do about 25 dives during the trip. The last time I dove in these conditions I was cold. Would adding Under Armour top and bottoms under my wetsuit do any good. I'm trying to avoid adding a shorty.

I'd go at least a 5mm full suit if not a 7. Actually for ME - I'd be diving dry if I was doing a whole weeks worth of diving in 69-70 degree water. It may sound crazy... but if you went 7mm... you'd be happy.

And definitely a hood.

With what you have given I would recommend a 5mm full with a 5mm hood. You can go lighter on the gloves.

I use 5mm wetsuit, 5mm hood, 4mm gloves, & booties in 68° water and find it very comfortable.

Hey,:wink:---I made a good guess.....

Back
Top Bottom