What to wear under undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FurtekJR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,

I just ordered my first drysuit (DiveRite 905 BZ). I was looking for ideas for what to wear under my undergarment.

I know a lot of divers wear UnderArmour shirts under their undergrament. Any reqs as far as style etc.?

As far as socks go, I have heard good things about divers using SmartWool socks. Again, any reqs as far as style, thickness etc.?

What about shorts?

Thanks.

Joe

Just skin. Makes it easier to hook up pee valve.:wink:

Nothing special. Smartwool socks if they are clean. If not some other hiking sock or normal sock in middle July in FL. Thickness is a preference that depends on water temps and dive times.

Other than that normal bra and underwear.

You might want to leave off the bra though or you'll get some strange looks =).

Miranda

I used to use UnderArmor, but I wasn't too thrilled by it. I primarily wear under-undergarments so that I don't have to wash my undergarments as often- at least that's my excuse.

I use basic lightweight polypro undies from REI- nothing fancy or special. They were sold as a base layer for aerobic activity in mild conditions. Just about any outdoor store will have something similar- Cabellas, EMS, REI, Gander Mountain, etc.

I use tops, bottoms, and boxers. I also have some thin poly/wool (maybe smartwool?) socks that I use under my booties. If I don't wear the undergarment booties, then I have some thicker socks to make up some of the difference in insulation.

I have smartwool glove liners that seem to work pretty well for most conditions, but I do have thicker gloves that I wear in the winter.

I bought multiple sets because why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price! I suggest buying different color sets so that you don't end up with a pile of all black undergarments- it makes finding socks difficult!

I generally wear a tank top, or tee shirt, and underwear, and/or lightweight shorts or swim trunks. It kinda depends on where you are diving, and if you want to get out of the suit/Undergarment between dives, or after you are done.

For socks, it depends on your boot fit, and water temp. If diving cold, I wear my ski socks (thin, but warm). If diving at Blue Hole (64F) I just wear lightweight cotton, again fairly thin. I would not wear any, but then your booties start to stink, and it is harder to get out of the suit! :D

I wear polypro thermal underwear from Cabela's. It's easily laundered, and fairly inexpensive. It makes a big difference underwater too. I dive Lake Michigan with only the thermal underwear and 150g fleece. I get cold when I'm not wearing it, but I"m fine with it on. 45-50* water.

Tom

I used my under armour shorts and t-shirt (loose fitting) under a light-weight undergarment when "cool" water diving and my Patagonia Capilene 3 top and bottom under my xerotherm arctic for down right "cold" water.

Just PLEASE, PUH-LEASE make sure you wash the under-undergarments!

They'll get funky after a weekend of diving :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom