What to wear, what to wear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hitting Cozumel March 28th, returning April 4th. I've heard the water can be chilly at this time of year, especially when doing the deeper and/or longer bottom time dives.

Is 3mm full body enough? Should I be thinking 5mm? Hood?? How about... Is this crazy... My trilam dry suit with just long underwear???

I'm seriously ectomorphic with absolutely no built-in thermal insulation. I dive a steel BP without weight, to give you an idea of how I'm built. If my head wasn't empty from ear to ear, I wouldn't be able to float at all. I absolutely detest having the shivers after the second dive of the day, much less chattering teeth after the third.

Am I worrying too much about the cold?

Just returned from Coz. The water temp was 76 to 79. I would get cold on my second dive wearing a 3mm or a2.5 shorty. No big deal. The cold part of the dive was between dives and on the way back to the pier. A front had just came through and the wind was blowing . Wife had a wind warmer coat and was warm. I had a towel and was cold . Every one on the boat was cold except wife . One dive master wore underarmor, skin and 7mm ful wetsuit with hood but he said he gets cold easily. You won't be hot if you wear a 5mm. Take a variety if you can and wear what is comfortable to you, thats what I did. Go prepared Who knows what the weather will be like. It's a lot easier to say I'm glad I have it than to say I wish I had it. Have fun and good diving.

Given your aptitude to cold, I would recommend your 5mil and probably the hood as well. I dive a 3mil and hood in Coz and still get a chill on the second dive near the end of the trip. If you do get too warm with the 5, you can always let a little water in to cool down.

PH

My darling bride always wears her 5mm full suit in the Caribbean........

We also bring old mid-weight winter coats that we can throw on during the surface interval if windy or cold........

Hope this helps........M

I dive with a microprene full suit and a 3mil vest with a neoprene squid hat. After the first dive I take the wet stuff off and put on a dry microprene for the 2nd dive with the hat and vest. Most always I wear a jacket between dives to warm up. After alot of trial and error, ending dives because I was cold, I found that a fresh wet suit for the 2nd dive does the trick for me. Its a bit more to schlep around but I am always warm.

You have a valid question as you want to be as prepared as possible. However, giving a specific answer as to how much thermal protection a diver needs is difficult. The chill factor is very subjective. Therefore, I vote with those who say " Pack it, if you have it, you can use it or not" Sue

Oh, and BTW, Aldora has what are basically TruWest parkas on their boats -- they're a life saver. It was after our trip to Cozumel that I came home and said, "I have GOT to own one of those coats!"

Was there in Jan....no sun, chilly water and a brisk wind. Dove in full 3 mm first dive, dried off, slipped on rash guard and vest under wetsuit for second dive. Worked good enough to not be miserable.

Going in August next time!

(Or maybe I'll just get a good boat coat so I don't have to work around hurricanes.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom