What too buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sqrlnut

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new here and am looking for a new video camera so i can start doing underwater photography, I'm not into too much yet and am hoping to find one that is small and works well on land. Was just wondering what is suggested. Thanks

sqrlnut:
Hi All,
I am new here and am looking for a new video camera so i can start doing underwater photography, I'm not into too much yet and am hoping to find one that is small and works well on land. Was just wondering what is suggested. Thanks

It all depends on how much you decide to spend and what are your expectations.
Regarding a video camera my advice is to stay away from mini DVD, reason is that it recods in MPEG2 format that cannot be used in editing, because you'll have to edit, nobody wants to wach 30 min. of unerwater raw footage, not even you.
Good luck

can't i edit with studio9 if i up load it to my computer, if not what should i go with? i have a hi8 now but wanted something smaller and with a different type of media.

Your question is too broad to get a useful answer. Everyone here will have their favorite video camera and probably advise you to buy it.

What you need to do is to define your objectives, put them into priority order and start matching the available video cameras against your list.

As you'll find repaeated many times in this forum, before buying the camera, consider the housing. The combination of housing / camera dictates the size and capability of what you will use to film underwater.

For me, the size of the housed video camera was very significant because I knew that I would not want to drag a big housing around the ocean. So I selected the L&M Mako housing and found a vidoe camera to match it. Nice and compact but still good quality.

The downside of the DVD video cameras is the the captured video is already compressed as it is written to the DVD, losing some quality in the process. You can never get that quality back. miniDV appears to be still the best format for UW use.

How urgently do you want to make this purchase? I think we are going to see a big wave of high definition (HD) camcorders hitting the market over the next 12 to 18 months. You might want to wait a while and see how this evolves. I am hoping that, before too long, Sony will annouce a HD camera of a similar size to the PC1000.

Regards
Peter

peterbkk:
Your question is too broad to get a useful answer. Everyone here will have their favorite video camera and probably advise you to buy it.

What you need to do is to define your objectives, put them into priority order and start matching the available video cameras against your list.

As you'll find repaeated many times in this forum, before buying the camera, consider the housing. The combination of housing / camera dictates the size and capability of what you will use to film underwater.

For me, the size of the housed video camera was very significant because I knew that I would not want to drag a big housing around the ocean. So I selected the L&M Mako housing and found a vidoe camera to match it. Nice and compact but still good quality.

The downside of the DVD video cameras is the the captured video is already compressed as it is written to the DVD, losing some quality in the process. You can never get that quality back. miniDV appears to be still the best format for UW use.

How urgently do you want to make this purchase? I think we are going to see a big wave of high definition (HD) camcorders hitting the market over the next 12 to 18 months. You might want to wait a while and see how this evolves. I am hoping that, before too long, Sony will annouce a HD camera of a similar size to the PC1000.

Regards
Peter

I sympathise! I have been researching for around 2 months as to exactly what to go for, but this forum has acted as an excellent source of information - being extremely new to this field the only real tip I can give you now is to learn as much as possible about the different types of technology (if you don’t know already) certainly get familiar with the different model cameras and exactly what the specifications mean, I think Camcorderinfo can help you there. They have regular reviews and keep a top 10 or so list of the best cameras 2004, 2005 etc.

As far as my research has gone (bearing in mind budget) I think I am going to go for Sony’s latest HD number - the HDR-HC1 - there have been some concerns about the manual white balance only being accessible through the LCD screen, but I have received confirmation from Amphibico that they will have access to this through the LANC controls.

Thanks,

Tristan

There is so little information out there that it is hard to figure out what you want if you don't know what CCD, High8 etc. are. So far I have only found a few web sites that sell housings. I know Ikelite (which I like) L&M and TopDawg.

Any suggestions on does and don't? I know it will mostly be personal preference but it will at least give a noob some idea of what to think about.

One direct question, does Ikelite make a back to their housing that has a screen on it. I noticed the mirror but how well does that work?

crpntr133:
There is so little information out there that it is hard to figure out what you want if you don't know what CCD, High8 etc. are. So far I have only found a few web sites that sell housings. I know Ikelite (which I like) L&M and TopDawg.

Any suggestions on does and don't? I know it will mostly be personal preference but it will at least give a noob some idea of what to think about.

One direct question, does Ikelite make a back to their housing that has a screen on it. I noticed the mirror but how well does that work?
To the best of my knowledge they don't, that's why they sell the mirror. One thing I've read(but not confirmed) is that panning l-r is backwards in the mirror.

My suggestions:

I'm sold on the idea of Sony MiniDV camcorders with LANC control. I think electronic vs. manual control of the camera functions is easier. Having everything in one place is better when you're focusing on what, not how you're filming. And in the rare event that I open my housing on location, it's easy to plug in the LANC jack, slide the camera into the mount, seal 4 latches and go diving.

So Top Dawg, USVH, Ocean Images or L&M would be my choices depending on cost considerations. Personally if I were buying a housing today it would be a USVH or O/I, I like their design philosphy and relative affordability. If money were no object, I'd look at the L&M, Amphibico or Silverfish(German) housings, they seem very intelligently designed and unbreakable.

I would also consider the Top Dawg or any of the other flat port housings since they're not camera specific. I personally don't shoot enough wide-angle work to justify a dome port, ymmv. I like the idea, esp. with the Top Dawg, that there's a whole range of camcorders that will work with it, and it allows for future camera upgrades. Ditto the O/I Dolphin Pro for the same reason.

I like the idea of pushbutton control of the camera functions, even if the electronics do die, you can still seal a running camera in the housing and dive, get a leak with a mechanical housing, especially at a foreign dive location and you're done till you get home. This happened to me, my electronics got fussy on a dive and wouldn't power-up at depth, so the 2nd dive, I just turned the camera on, sealed it and went filming.

And although I have no personal experience with it, from what I've read all of the new electronic housings have solved reliability problems associated with water damage by sealing their electronic modules separately. So worst case, a flood destroys your camera but not your electronics, a point the mechanical housing devotees used to use as a pro-mechanical point.

I also like the idea that I don't have to reach all over the housing to find the controls when I'm focusing on what's in the viewfinder. With a mechanical housing I'd think that there's also an increased risk of bumping the housing, or even banging into it with something hard, like my wristmount computer, which will then be seen/heard on the tape.

I do shots where I follow over a fish as he swims over the reef, so I do a lot of filming through the viewfinder. Having all the controls in one spot makes this easier. My buddy on the other hand does more point and shoot when he uses my housing. We both get good results, except for closeups, he cuts off parts of things. And for my style of filming, access to the zoom/wide and autofocus on/off are as important as power on/off functions. I shoot with 2hr. tapes and batteries that are changed every day, I've never had either end u/w.

I also think having an external monitor on top of the housing (like Gates or the new O/I EasyView) not behind it would make this easier - wish I had one.

For cameras, I think 3-CCD is the way to go if you can afford it. Better quality images and superior stills as well if you plan to grab an occasional still image. This is also why I'd only consider a MiniDV camcorder now, or maybe a Digital 8(Sony) if money's really tight.

As expressed previously, I think the Mini DVD, while a good idea for vacation videos, is a bad one for u/w work. The image quality is compromised for recording purposes and the recording time is limited to 60min or less. Also since you're actually burning a DVD, I think there could be a problem if the power unexpectedly died prior to the recorder closing the session, the footage would be unrecoverable.

If money were no object, I'd be looking at the new HDR-HC1, or an FX1/Z1 if I win the lottery, but even though the HC1 s/b around $2K, the housing costs(for me) are out of reach. There's someone over on Wetpixel who's trying to buy the Gates housing through a partial ownership program, anybody who puts in $375 gets it one month a year. If you need a better reason to consider waiting for/buying HD, check this out: http://www.ningalooreefteach.com/FX1.htm

Websites that I know of that sell housings:

www.backscatter.com,
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.oceanbrite.com
www.adorama.com
http://www.absea.net

Also the mfr's list(maintained by yours truly) has links to most of the housing mfrs, a lot of them either sell direct or have a dealer list:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96646

As others have suggested here, I'd get the housing you want then buy a camera for it. Doing it the other way limits your options.

my .02

Steve

crpntr133:

This in regard of initial thred,
Has been mentioned here about the new HD sony camcorder, in my oppinion I will wait for a few moths. The reason is that now if you waht to edit HD footage you'll need high end editting software like ADOBE with the HD plugin (aroun $1000) or if you have a MAC, you'll need Final cut pro HD, I don't now how much cost but I'm sure, ain't cheep. On the other hand from what I've red on some magazines, you'll need a biiiiiiig hard drive at least 1GIG Ram and a dual procesor computer will do the job without any loss in frames.
One other reson to wait would be that there is no HD DVD encodig software yet, on Uled website they claim that this will be here soon, how soon nobody knows.

sqrlnut:
can't i edit with studio9 if i up load it to my computer, if not what should i go with? i have a hi8 now but wanted something smaller and with a different type of media.

I unerstand that you have a Hi8 camcorder an dlooks that you have Studio 9, that can bee video studio 9 or pinacle studio9, to keep on using your Hi8 you'll need an adapter that will convert analog to digital, Circuit City sell them and I think are made by Dazzel.
Good luck

triswebb,

Amphibico has confirmed to you that they will be putting out a housing for HDR-HC1, and that it will have access to manual White Balance? Thanks would be wonderful news!

They didn't mention what design models (VHIS1000, VHPD0170, ?) they're looking to use? As this will have cost consequences that might make it worth starting with the VHIS1000 (for the HC-1000).

All: I don't know if any of you have seen the new Amphibico "Pro" site, but WOW!!! :monkeydan (http://www.amphibico.com/pro/home_content.html)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom