What too buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So from what I am reading a Digital8 is going to be a good idea especially for editing. Going with anything higher is going to cost major dollars($1000+-) for editing programs. Also going any further may not give high quality pics. Coorect me if I am wrong.

Gonzalve:
triswebb,

Amphibico has confirmed to you that they will be putting out a housing for HDR-HC1, and that it will have access to manual White Balance? Thanks would be wonderful news!

They didn't mention what design models (VHIS1000, VHPD0170, ?) they're looking to use? As this will have cost consequences that might make it worth starting with the VHIS1000 (for the HC-1000).

All: I don't know if any of you have seen the new Amphibico "Pro" site, but WOW!!! :monkeydan (http://www.amphibico.com/pro/home_content.html)

Yes, they have definitely confirmed the access to manual white balance. Unfortunately, this was about all I could get out of them for now as I guess everything is in its very early stages!! They have now told me that a preview to the housing will be available on their site within the next 10 days so I guess keep your eyes out for that.

If anyone else gets any news/updates then please let us know!

Thanks...

crpntr133:
So from what I am reading a Digital8 is going to be a good idea especially for editing. Going with anything higher is going to cost major dollars($1000+-) for editing programs. Also going any further may not give high quality pics. Coorect me if I am wrong.
Ok, You're wrong.... .>) Get a MiniDV camcorder.

Digital8 is Sony's proprietary format that allows you to record a digital signal onto 8mm analog tape. So it's a better signal than the 8mm/Hi8 formats. But really today most u/w videographers (not professionals) are using MiniDV which is a pure digital signal recorded on DV(mini) digital format tape. It produces a better quality signal than Digital8 for not much more money and has other benefits, like much better still captures. The only advantage to Digital8 camcorders is that Sony provides a Firewire connection at a lower cost, which is one of the best ways to capture footage during editing. It's what almost all MiniDV camcorders come with standard.

95% of the current new camcorders available are MiniDV format. Slightly higher tape costs, but much better video quality since the signal is digital. They also generally have either Firewire or USB 2.0 connections for video capture.

Sony and others have recently introduced prosumer HD camcorders that can be housed. This is where you start to get into "major dollars", thousands for the camcorder and the same - or more - for the housing. IMO everything will be shot in HD eventually as prices come down and TV stations across the country broadcast in HD. But early adopters are taking a beating to get into it now.

So if you want to get into u/w video for under $2000, get a MiniDV camera, you can buy them new for as little as $4-500 and housings from about $500 to well over $2500 depending on model/features desired. Every manufacturer on the video housings list at the top of this forum sells housings for MiniDV camcorders, so it's more a question of what features and what type of controls - electronic vs. mechanical - are desired.

I've also seen some good deals on eBay occasionally, but you have to know what you're buying as there's also a lot of old junk or housings that only fit one model of camera. A cheap way to start out is to buy an older 8MM/Hi8 camera housing on eBay and then try to find the matching camera there. I just saw an Amphibico DiveBuddy 1(circa 1995) electronic housing sell for $100, the matching camcorder (TR600) was available for $50 on another auction. It would have been a state-of-the-art package in 1995. With an inexpensive analog capture card, like a Dazzle or Pinnacle AV/DV - sub $100 - you can capture and edit footage - it works, just not as well or as easily as with MiniDV.

The cost is not really in the editing programs, there's some good ones for under $100 - Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio9, Ulead Movie Studio9 and others, around $500 - Sony Vegas or Pinnacle Liquid Edition, and higher - Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid etc. (or various versions of Final Cut/Pro if you have a Mac) but more in the cost of the hardware to edit with. You can't have a fast enough processor or enough memory for video editing during editing/rendering as well as monstrous hard drives to store all the captured/edited footage. Read the minimum system requirements for any NLE(Non-Linear Editing) program available - my suggestion would be to automatically double them. I've also had better results since I bought a faster DVD burner(16X/8X)

Other questions?

Steve

Ok, so MiniDV is good. MiniDVD is not.

I picked up a camcorder buying guide from Circuit City. This has help to untangle my mind about this.

crpntr133:

Hi,
If you have Hi8 tapes that you'd like to save I would go with Dgital8, the diference betwin Dig8 and MiniDV is only in the tape size. The problem now is in the CCD size, most of the MiniDV camcorders come with 1, 2, or 3 Megapix CCD"s, but the DIG8 that are now on the market have from 270k to 460k pixels that gives you low resolution and poor picture quality.
But if you make a google serch for a SONY DCR TRV 740 or 840 model that have been discontinued by SONY you'll be able to find one. this 2 models are Dig8 and have 1.07 Megapixels CCD's that will give you the same quality like a MiniDV with the same size CCD and you'll be able to play your old Hi8 tapes also.
In conclusion, if you don't care for your old Hi8 tapes go for MiniDV that is the standard to stay, Dig8 is going to be out in the next year or so.
Now regarding the MiniDV don't go for a camcorder that has less than 1 megapixell CCD but no more than 2 megapixels or you waste your money, in camcorders bigger CCD's help only if you take stills.
Good luck an keep us posted.

The camera that I have now just says Video8 on it, yes it is old. That is one reason why I want/need to get another. The batteries are trash and no longer available so it is pretty much land locked.

I figured that if I want to burn earlier tapes to DVD then I can look into that later, I am pretty sure that it is possible with minimal cost.

After doing some research here and on the web I am thinking of buying a camera and housing from JVC:

WR-DV96U - housing
GR-DVM96U or 76U (probably cheaper for 76U)

I'm still a beginner diver (~60 dives so far) and this would be my first time using a video camera underwater. I want to minimalize my investment until I figure out if I like doing this. The above package will cost less than $500 (the camera is a refurb and the housing is only $100).

I'm wondering if anybody has any comments about using the JVC system - good or bad. Again, I'm just getting my feet wet and figure in time I'll have more money to spend and better options.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

sqrlnut:
can't i edit with studio9 if i up load it to my computer, if not what should i go with? i have a hi8 now but wanted something smaller and with a different type of media.

Beleive me. You want "mini DV". Well if you have the bucks (lots of them) then go with HD but you said "small" so it's mini DV. Next you want a Sony. The Sonys all have a LANC plug that allows the housing to use electtronic controls.

Next decision is. do you want a generic housing or one specific to your camers? With generic you can upgrade the camera later and keepthehousing. But the specific ones are _much_ smalers and more compact, The anser may depend on if you plan to take the system with you on an airplane

Now you are redeay to select a camera. Pick the housing FIRST then buy whatever fits inside of it

Ok if not the housing first then think about if you will use lights and/or a filter and/or awide angle lens. Get a housing that suports the lights/filter/lens setup yu like then buy the camers

Bottom line: You are buying a SYSTEM of wich the camera is only maybe 1/3rd of the total.

About editing. The thing to aavoid is "generational loss" which is a degradation in quality when you copy. Long story but editing MPEG require a decode and re-code step that is lossy. DV format uses only inter-fram compression and so can be cut with no decode and re-code step.

Also as a practical matter. one Mini DV tape will last one whole dive but the mini-DVD format runs out before your tank runs out of air Also think about post-prduction color ballance, rotation and motion tracting. the DV formatis best for post production "tweeking" as it simpyhas "more bits"

ChrisA:
Beleive me. You want "mini DV". Well if you have the bucks (lots of them) then go with HD but you said "small" so it's mini DV. Next you want a Sony. The Sonys all have a LANC plug that allows the housing to use electtronic controls.

Next decision is. do you want a generic housing or one specific to your camers? With generic you can upgrade the camera later and keepthehousing. But the specific ones are _much_ smalers and more compact, The anser may depend on if you plan to take the system with you on an airplane

Now you are redeay to select a camera. Pick the housing FIRST then buy whatever fits inside of it

Ok if not the housing first then think about if you will use lights and/or a filter and/or awide angle lens. Get a housing that suports the lights/filter/lens setup yu like then buy the camers

About editing. The thing to aavoid is "generational loss" which is a degradation in quality when you copy. Long story but editing MPEG require a decode and re-code step that is lossy. DV format uses only inter-fram compression and so can be cut with no decode and re-code step.

Also as a practical matter. one Mini DV tape will last one whole dive but the mini-DVD format runs out before your tank runs out of air Also think about post-prduction color ballance, rotation and motion tracting. the DV formatis best for post production "tweeking" as it simpyhas "more bits"

I am not seeing why to buy the housing first. If you like the camera and it will fit the housing, buy it. If the housing will fit the lights, filters, etc., buy it. Is this for a housing that is camera specific only? To me if you have done your homework and thought the WHOLE SYSTEM through then there shouldn't be an issue.

Good comment on the LANC. I still haven't bought my system and probably won't for a few more months but the LANC is something that I forgot about. This is especially important since I plan on going with elec. controls.

crpntr133:
I am not seeing why to buy the housing first. ...

Yes, I should have said "select a housing before you buy a camera." You are right the order of purchace does not matter. As long as you think everything through to the end be fore you buy the first item you will do fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom