What tools do you take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take a Pelican 1150 case with the essentials:
  1. O rings for the regulator and tank
  2. Batteries for dive computer
  3. Small wrenches
  4. Hex tool
  5. HP and LP plugs
  6. LP hose with adaptor for Inflator hose
  7. HP hose
  8. Defog
  9. Air spool
  10. Zip Ties
  11. Spare mouth piece
  12. Shock cord
  13. Cave Line
  14. Double ender
  15. Snap bolt
Spare mask is with my main luggage
Spare 8 foot hose is with my main luggage

The 1150 is good and small and waterproof.

I've got the same Pelican case. My only concern about taking that stuff is weight. so I will look closely at your list and see what I normally take and what I wouldn't. I know our shop leader always takes an exhaustive amount of tools and parts but not specific to my gear. So I do need to take my specific gear parts.

My only concern about taking that stuff is weight.

Been on the boat and turned the valve on only to have the low pressure hose burst with a Big Bang.:(
Same with a high pressure hose.:(

No dive missed since the stuff was available.:)

So for me, I don't mind taking it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 47
The most common repairs I've had to make on trips (for me and my traveling companions) are low-pressure inflators, hoses, SPG spools, battery changes on computers, ways to hold dangling gear, and cleaning minor corrosion from leaks into light/strobe battery compartments. I bring the tools to do this stuff. I've given up on most liveaboards having anything other than tank o-rings, a rusty adjustable wrench, the wrong-size hex keys, a dull knife, and cable-ties that are too fat or too short. I bring a full complement of standard o-rings for hoses (both ends), spools, valves.

The most common repairs I've had to make on trips (for me and my traveling companions) are low-pressure inflators, hoses, SPG spools, battery changes on computers, ways to hold dangling gear, and cleaning minor corrosion from leaks into light/strobe battery compartments. I bring the tools to do this stuff. I've given up on most liveaboards having anything other than tank o-rings, a rusty adjustable wrench, the wrong-size hex keys, a dull knife, and cable-ties that are too fat or too short. I bring a full complement of standard o-rings for hoses (both ends), spools, valves.

Ditto what tursiops wrote.

The weight of the spares and a minimum list of tools is worth planning for. We almost used my spare reg as my wife's reg developed a slow leak. It was the last dive so the spare was not needed. The spare can be used in total, or cannibalized as needed.

O-rings, batteries, HP hoses, LP hoses, zip ties (and stuff for other people) have all failed on me while diving. Our regs are serviced on a regular basis and we IP and pressure test before and after a dive adventure (tested in water).

Stuff still happens.

My advice, make room and make weight by whatever means necessary.

markm

i'VE given up on most liveaboards having anything other than tank o-rings, a rusty adjustable wrench, the wrong-size hex keys, a dull knife, and cable-ties that are too fat or too short.
+1

Pilots and doctors use checklists extensively to avoid wasting brain power on vital items. Do divers? I've begun to think I better start building some. That's why I was grateful for the tool list provided in this thread by Compressor. Thanks!

Pilots and doctors use checklists extensively to avoid wasting brain power on vital items. Do divers? I've begun to think I better start building some. That's why I was grateful for the tool list provided in this thread by Compressor. Thanks!

Hi DayDream,

I have checklists. Some are plastic coated. We also create a "lessons learned" page from our last dive. On this last trip, we decided to bring a little extra thermal protection for above and below the water. The water temp was between 78 and 79 degrees F. We were a little chilly.

We have dived in different environments. We always need different gear depending on the thermal environment. That's the main reason for the checklists.

markm

If you use an Air 2, you should bring a spare adapter, and even an Air 2 to standard LPI adapter, that way you can use a borrow BC without changing your reg too much. Also if your reg requires a special wrench (I'm looking at your Scubapro) you should bring one of those as well.

The ship will have all the wrenches you need and the boat staff will treat you like a king. A fairly used up roll of duct tape is always nice and light. One thing I always bring is a spare battery and o ring for my computer. Never leave home with out it. if you are going out on tenders bring a small waterproof bag or box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom