What tools do you take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take some of the stuff listed. I found my wrench to be useful once when my reg. got stuck on the valve (yes, I only tightened it finger tight).

Hi DayDream,

I have checklists. Some are plastic coated. We also create a "lessons learned" page from our last dive. On this last trip, we decided to bring a little extra thermal protection for above and below the water. The water temp was between 78 and 79 degrees F. We were a little chilly.

We have dived in different environments. We always need different gear depending on the thermal environment. That's the main reason for the checklists.

markm
I build lists for sailing- in the excitement of taking off for almost any trip, important things get forgotten. On a big sailboat in big water and weather, it can make a difference to be fully prepared. I even carry a tool kit (with list) on my RIB tender to be ready for as many situations as possible.

So I'm just learning to do it now with dive tools. Thanks for helping me learn!

I build lists for sailing- in the excitement of taking off for almost any trip, important things get forgotten. On a big sailboat in big water and weather, it can make a difference to be fully prepared. I even carry a tool kit (with list) on my RIB tender to be ready for as many situations as possible.

So I'm just learning to do it now with dive tools. Thanks for helping me learn!

+1
May the wind be on your forward quarter! Good voyage to ya.

markm

I dive din regs and in tourist areas such as Cozumel the pro valves are often in bad shape with the salt build up. I carry a 5/8-14 BSP tap. It has been so useful my buddies now carry one too.

On liveaboards, I only take backups and tools specific for my own gear, general tools and backup equipment are readily available. Batteries for my computers, transmitter, and vacuum check for my camera are most important.

I have a small kit with wrenches, Hex keys, lots of o-rings, spare batteries, port plugs, aqua seal & zipper wax. Usually a roll or two of duct tape as well (in my bin or bag, not the waterproof tool box). If I am driving to my destination, I load (way too much) lots of other tool & spare part stuff in the truck. I am not always great at replacing parts I use from the kit.

I second the trusty Pelican 1150 box! Fill it up and bring it with you and put it on the Panga/Rib/Zodiac which you actually dive from. I have saved my own or other's bacon many a time when something started leaking, hissing, or falling apart on the way to a dive site. Even if your liveaboard has every tool and spare imaginable it's not going to be on the dive skiff.

A few items I keep handy in my Pelican that I've not heard mentioned in this thead:

• Roll of Velcro strips
  • Superglue (punctured drygloves, camera gear, broken glasses, etc)
  • Shock cord
  • Dental pick for crusty oring removal
  • IP Guage
  • Leatherman multi-tool (needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, file, etc)
  • Mini quick links and carabiners
  • US quarter to open computer battery compartments
  • A couple of $20's (extra tips or bail money :) )

I dive din regs and in tourist areas such as Cozumel the pro valves are often in bad shape with the salt build up. I carry a 5/8-14 BSP tap. It has been so useful my buddies now carry one too.
What do you use the Tap for?

What do you use the Tap for?

To straighten out the din threads in the valve. If the inserts are left in the tanks an used in salt water they build up residue and if you remove the insert you may not be able to screw in your din reg. Also, if someone has banged the valve and egged it a little it can be hard to impossible to screw the din reg in. The tap fixes this.

To straighten out the din threads in the valve. If the inserts are left in the tanks an used in salt water they build up residue and if you remove the insert you may not be able to screw in your din reg. Also, if someone has banged the valve and egged it a little it can be hard to impossible to screw the din reg in. The tap fixes this.
OK, I need one. I have had this problem several times, most often when a specific fill whip or reg would not connect to my tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom