What video editing software do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KneeDeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wife just got a GoPro 3+ and wants to start to play with video editing, what do you guys use. I am more concerned about quality and features then cost.

What are some options... and I don't consider Windows Movie Maker one of them.

The big ones, I think, are Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas. I have both but got accustomed to Sony Vegas Pro. It's simpler IMO and I only perform the more basic editing funtions and color correction. If your looking to learn and use lots of more advanced features/techniques, Premiere may be the better choice.

If you have a Mac, FCPX (Final Cut Pro X) is very highly regarded, popular editing app though I've never used it.

I use adobe premiere - not as intuitive as Sony but once you figure it out its fine.

I use the GoPro software to rough chop and then clean up a little bit with Premier. Certainly not professional, but works for my needs.

I'm a fan of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. Does most of what Vegas does for 1/5th the cost. My buddy uses/likes Pinnacle Studio. He turns out some nice work quickly considering he only does it about twice a year after trips. I think Vegas is harder to learn initially but can do more. I'm an old Premiere user but like VSMP better - I even have the full Adobe CS2 Editing suite on my editing computer now also.

Check the Vegas MSP, Pinnacle Studio and Adobe Premier websites. Usually there's a free downloadable trial available.

I used Premiere for years but once I switched to HD I went with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and never looked back (except for a few special effects that were easier to accomplish in Premiere). I've never used footage from a GoPro though (at least not yet)

Another vote for Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It's excellent, and handles all my high bitrate AVCHD footage, with 64-bit processing. However, if I were you I'd try and get hold of version 12, because version 13 seems to have undergone some dumbing down to take account of touch interfaces. See this review:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RPFVELER2G1UN/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RPFVELER2G1UN

Version 12 is also a lot cheaper!
Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's true that you need to learn the software, but you can buy VASST training DVDs or just look on You Tube for tons of tips and tutorials.

Cheers,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom