What was your favourite trip? But more importantly: Where else have you been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sta-reta liveaboard to Fiji...many years ago. Me and a pair of college professors for 10 days. Great Astrolabe reef. Didn't see another soul or boat.

I have been to many places but "The New York" trip is my favorite one. I enjoyed a lot while my New York Trip and saw so many amazing places there. I enjoyed the most when I visited the Empire State Building and The Statue Of Liberty.

Beaches at Turks and Cacaos was a good trip. This is an all inclusive resort that ran a boat from their own dock. I am the only diver in the group of people I travel with so this gave them lots to do while I went on a two tank dive every morning and meet them at the swim up bar for lunch after. We also rent a place in the Keys every spring where I usually do a two tank dive in the morning and spend the rest of the day with them.

We just got back from a Socorros trip and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Brother and I spent two weeks aboard a live aboard at Socorro Island in Mexico and I would say it is the best warm water diving I have ever done And as far as Cold water diving Beg Rock at San Nickolas Island in So Cal

The boat was the Rocio del Mar and the water temps were around 79-81. We had people in no wet suits to people in shorties to people in 5's. I wore a 5 and I was fine in it the whole time! Enjoy! The Boiler and Roca Partida are amazing!!!!!
I'm going in two weeks. What was the water temp and boat?

The boat was the Rocio del Mar and the water temps were around 79-81. We had people in no wet suits to people in shorties to people in 5's. I wore a 5 and I was fine in it the whole time! Enjoy! The Boiler and Roca Partida are amazing!!!!!
Thank you

Photos of most locations at link below but not all of them. Some trips were prior to starting photo work.
shiningseastudio

Alor, Indonesia
Remote, hard to get to, great live aboard location. Best diving I have done.
Wish I could go back but likely never will make it.
Bali Indonesia
Great diving, did shore diving only. Loved it. Hope to go back.
Taveuni, Fiji
Rainbow reef, love it. Pain to get to. Hope to do Fiji Bligh waters
Native Fiji people are the friendliest we ever met.
Best to do a Liveaboard, from my view and plan one in the future.
Kadavu, Fiji
Leeward side is boring. Windward side is great. Too hard to get to.
Kona HI
Great Manta diving, otherwise boring

Moorea, French Polynesia
Lovely island and trip. SHARKY! tried counting sharks in site a few times but gave up. too many to count. Often over 30 within 50 ft of me at once with no feeding/bait.
Top Dive shop there gave good service

Bora Bora, French Poly
fabulous island, fair diving. Nice lemon shark activity. Top Dive shop service there was WORST I ever had in the world!

Overall Advice for Carib diving
Go with smaller outfit for diving, on smaller boat. Costs more but you get far better diving.
Go with larger, lowest priced outfit and expect crowds and time limits for your diving.
You spend hundreds getting there and staying there. Why not spend $20 more per day on diving and step up to better diving?

Bonaire
Been once, loved it. Going back for 2 weeks this winter. Best I have seen in the Carib.
Roatan
Been 2 times. Liked it. Likely go again sometime.

St Martin/St Marteen
Most boring diving of my life. Stick to the beach and ignore the diving. Had a place for a week, took a flight to Saba for 2 nights, one day diving so the trip was not a total waste for diving.
Saba
Only had one day there. Liked it. Not going back – too hard to get to for what I saw.

St John, USVI
Got wet, 2nd most boring dives of my life. Except the boat trip to the Rhone. Stick to the fabulous beaches and hiking the forests. Lovely island and may go back when I am so old I cannot dive anymore.

RMS Rhone, BVI
Great dive and I am not a wreck dive guy.

Cozumel
Dive with a small boutique dive shop. Small fast boats beat the crowd at dive spots, all advanced divers, only 6 plus 2 guides, 80 min bottom times on nitrox, costs extra and its worth it.
Dive with the cheapest, get a crowd, often beginners, short bottom times.
Cenotes
Outstanding. Plan to do it again.
Isla Mujeres, MX
Sailfish snorkeling. Long time in the boat searching. Incredible time when with them. See my pics. VERY hard work when swimming to keep up.
Last day there, 100’s of manta’s – as far as the eye could see covering the surface
Hard swimming, best for people in GREAT shape and ready to drive hard. Too hard for me to repeat. Would do it again if I was under 50 and trained cardio for a few months first. Event of a lifetime. Do it if you can.
Grand Turk
Love Osprey Beach resort and Oasis Divers. Been 2 times. Diving is nice. 10 min boat rides, nice reefs, no fish schools, turtles often, listen to singing whales in Feb while diving and seeing spouts nearby but never seeing the whales underwater. Not great diversity but then... where is in the carib?

Provo, T&C Too long of boat rides, too many people on a boat.

belize ambergris caye
Nice diving 20 yrs ago but not great.

West Palm Beach, FL
Love Blue Heron Bridge. Go there whenever I am in that area.
Key Largo, FL
Couple of days diving long ago. Fishy, good for US, like Carib better.

Grand Cayman
Been in winter and summer. Love the Silversides in summer – hire a private guide, go out early before anyone else. Have the silver sides in the cave to yourself – amazing. Did East side diving only. Only OK but I get a good deal at a time share there so likely to go back.

TX flower garden
Underwhelming. Not going back.

St Croix, USVI
Dove the south end. Enjoyed it. Only 4 in the boat plus guide. Most diving was ave Carib. What made is special was the service. My nitrox consumption and time was far better than the other air breathers on the boat. When they would all be in the boat, the guide would hover above me and let me stay as long as my computer allowed. Found great macro that way with plenty of blennies to photo.

Loved the night dive on the pier. One of my favorite dives. Lovely orange frogfish. Had 2 hours of bottom time on that shallow dive.
May go again.

Last edited:
<< I'll retire from diving after the Bay islands trip.>> after the list above it, I'm thinking this will be rather anti-climatic.

Actually, since I posted that list there has been a change of plan for my last diving trip in April 2016 (as mentioned in another thread). I am going to cancel the Bay Islands visit and go to the Philippines instead - Dumaguete (land based) and Tubbataha (liveaboard). That will be a fitting finale, methinks.

Cozumel and Belize have great diving. I have been to Belize 4 times (Ambergris Caye and Glovers Reef) 4 times and Cozumel 5 times. The reef is not too far, the visibility is great, and the coral is incredible. I don't have the time or money to travel more than a week at a time so I have not been to some of the incredible dive locations mentioned. . . Someday! . . . But in the meantime, I would go to the Carribean again in a heart beat. Cozumel and Ambergris are also fun morning, noon and Night.

Back
Top Bottom