What we swampers have to put up with...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, as if terrible vis, knife-sharp thermoclines, and sometimes dwindling freshwater sources isn't enough, get a load of what one of my friends encountered. He's an instructor and was taking some clients out for check out dives at Lake Elmer Thomas. Well, about four feet from the water's edge (there by the dam on the parking lot side) he was struck by a four foot rattlesnake! Got him right on the lower leg.

They whisked him off to the ER, he was treated and transported to a more local hospital nearer his home, and he's doing fine. He even thought to call and report that he couldn't tell me what the vis was like since he didn't actually make it to the water.

How's that for a Swamper hazard!

I think Timeliner and KHacken has a good snake story also. They encountered one on the way down into Valhalla missile silo. Frank is trying to decide between hat band or belt... Poor snake.

I have two snake stories. One was a wet bite and it sent me on a care flight jet to OK City to get the all time record size Anti Venom shot in that Hospital's history and the other was at the Valhalla Missile Silo. He didn't fair so well.........

Both were Rattle Snakes. The first round went to the snake and in the second round we came to an understanding and he lost :D

The score is tied .................

Guba... I feel your friends pain in ways I hope you never know

I have two snake stories. One was a wet bite and it sent me on a care flight jet to OK City to get the all time record size Anti Venom shot in that Hospital's history and the other was at the Valhalla Missile Silo. He didn't fair so well.........

Both were Rattle Snakes. The first round went to the snake and in the second round we came to an understanding and he lost :D

The score is tied .................

Guba... I feel your friends pain in ways I hope you never know

Actually you have 3 stories counting the 'Misses' encounter this week with a less than friendly Paris water moccasin! :11:

I have two snake stories. One was a wet bite

Ack! What is a wet bite? Please don't tell me a snake bit you underwater while diving...

Foo,

a wet bite is what a bite is called when the snake actually injects venom. about 2/3 of rattlesnake bites are not wet.

Jay

Guba,

I hope your friend is doing well. I like diving at Elmer Thomas and usually make several dives a year there. I've always been told to watch for snakes but have never seen any. I was wondering what time he was bite, whether it was early morning or was he diving late afternoon after most of the crowds have left.

I hope your instructor friend is fairing well. In all the times and dives that I have made at local lakes and rivers I have seen one snake (small copperhead) in the water and one on the beach (a type of king snake I believe at Barstows). I killed my share of rattlesnakes growing up in the Rio Grande Valley, so have no love for them at all. I have heard of people seeing water moccasins in Lake Travis, but I have never seen one, thank goodness (knocking on wood).

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like all is going to be okay.

Frank has some snake stories. I really need to stop diving with him.
JR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom