What weight system do you use?

What weight system do you use?

• No ditchable weights (eg weights on tank or bp)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • weightbelt/weight harness under bp harness

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • weightbelt/weight harness over bp harness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • weight pouches on waistband (ditchable)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • other (please post on what you use)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheYellowSubmarine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.
I'm posting this in the Tech forum, because generally they have more experience diving, and in my experience they know better what they're talking about (in general). I'll finally be joining the tech world next week after my adv. nitrox and deco procedures too.
I'm interested to see the proportions of tech divers using the different systems (the first two are a bit similar, since a weightbelt under the harness can't be ditched as fast as the others)

With a 7mm semidry wetsuit and my bp/w, I only use four 1kg (2.2pounds) lead blocks (I can probably half that, I still feel a tiny bit heavy, but haven't really had the chance to do a proper buoyancy test for a while). I used to use a weightbelt under my rig, then got some slotted weights and put them on my waistband, now I've just moved 2 of them onto a tank band (more for trim, but also didn't like having 4 weights on my waistband). Ditching 4kg's isn't going to make a hell of a difference anyway I think (?)
This is for the ocean (not much cave diving around here).

Underwater I don't really see the need for ditchable weights. The only senario I can think of is about to lose consciousness, dropping your weights and going to the surface. Since I am going to be neutral anyway underwater, the time I would take to drop my weights to gain buoyancy would probably do just as much good as hitting the power inflator (I don't have much weight to drop remember). If it was an out of air situation, I'd only have to swim up a little to become positively buoyant also.
So only if my wing bladder(well both since its an Eclipse) failed and I ran out of air at the same time without enough breath to either swim to the surface or get out of my rig(then I'd be rather bouyant in my wetsuit) can I see that I'd be in trouble. So I'd have to be diving deep on a single tank basically with catastrophic failure of air source and wing. I would never do a dive like that anyway.
Ditching weights on the surface is obviously nice in an emergency situation, but I wouldn't say critical.
Seems ok for me to make my weights non-ditchable, what are your thoughts?
Am I missing something?

I dont know all the tech aspects of weight systems. My dive buddy, Lee, thinks it is approriate to use his weightbelt to warn other divers. It is not detachable.

---Bob

11959Lee_sWeightbelt.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom