What wetsuit for USVI trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
In early July what type of wetsuits do you need to bring to St. John? Is a thin shorty doable or do you need a full 3 mm suit?

Thanks,

Dan

A shorty is easily doable. I chose to wear a 3mm suit, just due to the fact that I was testing out a Henderson Hyperstretch suit (which was new to the market at that time) but many people only wore a swim suit and t-shirt. I dove 7 days in St Croix and had a great time!

Have a great trip!!

Scott

I dove it in November in just a swim suit because I forgot my shortie. Everyone else was wearing just a shortie. You might get a little warm in a 3mm, but if it's a front zip you can always un-zip it.

I'd go for a shortie or a dive skin though.

I've been in July. I wore a 3mm. I know DMs down there that wear 5's most of the year. Depends on how cold natured you are.

I agree a shortie would be fine....but...I would add a pair of skins on under it to keep the stingies and other wonderful surprises off your skin. The last time I dove Barbados I had a Brit laughing and pickin at me for wearing skins. When we entered the water...there were immediately some yelling off the tow line. A number of jellies were paying a visit to my Brit antagonist. I was left alone thereafter.

There is a dive god.!!

Unless you get cold very easily....or plan to make many dives in one day....worse case a 3 mm would do the trick. If you are going to attempt multiple dives....remember most heat loss it from the top of the head....wear a hood.

I work in St Thomas the water temperature is now 81 degrees, Most divers like some sort of protection. The temperature will be around 83 when you arrive no thermals. Need more information, send a note.

I just came back, I would say a 3mm body suit, you'll get cold if you are doing multiple dives per day. The temp was 81F

goodknight411:
I've been in July. I wore a 3mm. I know DMs down there that wear 5's most of the year. Depends on how cold natured you are.

You know. I couldn't figure that out either. Water temp was 80f and the DM's were wearing a 5mm also when everyone else was in a shortie. They all said they got cold otherwise. weird. (none of us got cold).

i dont use a suit when i'm down there normaly, just a shirt and swimsuit, but i bring a .5 mil skin for night dives or when i see jellies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom