What wetsuit for USVI trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from a cruise and I was diving in ST.Thomas . I was also there in November for a week and wore a 3mm full with a skin under. I was a little chilly actually. When I dive in St.maarten every summer, I wear a 3mm full.
Have a great time,
Christine

In early July the water temperature here (St. Thomas/St. John) will be in the mid 80's... probably around 83F to 84F. I use a full 3mm wetsuit in the summer which is a little over kill at the peak, but I hate to get chilled. I have seen plenty of people with no wetsuit at all, even during the winter months. Our water temperature ranges from a low of around 77F in winter to a high of around 85F in summer. Plan for it to be 84F and you won't be far off.

> Is a thin shorty doable

Very doable. I would recommend this over a 3mm unless you get chilled easily.

> I know DMs down there that wear 5's most of the year.

I cannot imagine wearing a 5mm full wetsuit during the summer months down here. I have to break the neck seal on my 3mm to cool off from time to time during the hotest summer days. I don't doubt that you know some that do wear a 5mm all season long, but my guess is that they would wear less if it were freely available.

> wear a hood

A hood during the summer here is overkill, though it is nice to have during the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom