Question What wetsuit is easiest to get off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
fred32176

fred32176

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is the easiest 3 mil wetsuit to put on and get off? My 3/2 keeps getting nicked and it will soon be time for a new wetsuit. Which 3 mill wetsuits are easiest to get off and put on?

I would say, one that fits well and that you can reach all the zippers yourself.

For whatever reason, I have always struggled more to get them on than to get them off. If you haven't already tried this: peel the suit off your limbs like a banana. It should be completely inside out by the time you step out of it. For putting it on, a little lube goes a long way.

You are choosing a curious factor as the determiner. A modern 3mm wetsuit should be fairly easy to get on and off because of the stretchiness.

The big question I would ask instead depends upon how often you intend to use it. There is a pretty big difference in quality between 3mm suits, even within brands. If I were planning use it a lot, I would opt for the best quality, most durable suit.

From a shoulder perspective, I have always found front zip suits to be more of a hassle to get off than back zip suits...with front zip, its like one needs to be a contortionist to get the suit off the shoulders and often need the help of another to pull the wet wetsuit back and down.

If shoulder mobility is your issue, perhaps look at a jacket top coupled with a high waist bottom.

As others have mentioned, the neoprene being used today by most manufacturers is super stretchy....I know that different brands, and different models within brands fit differently so perhaps just go to a few shops, try some on, and choose the one that fits your body the best. And as another poster mentioned, a lycra skin, like a sharkskin undersuit, helps quite a bit too.

I personally have had a good luck with Aqualung's Balance Comfort Aquaflex neoprene but it looks like they have a few options of stretchier stuff in their lineup (Dynaflex and Hydraflex) that seem worth taking a look at:

-Z

The problem I have taking off a wetsuit is I get everything off but a big wad near my ankle. One foot will come out but getting the bunched up suit off the remaining ankle is a pain.

The problem I have taking off a wetsuit is I get everything off but a big wad near my ankle. One foot will come out but getting the bunched up suit off the remaining ankle is a pain.
Perhaps a suit with ankle zippers like the Cressi Endurance.

Here is a discussion thread that might give you some more ideas:

Barring that, I find if I take my suit off standing up that I have a similar issue like you exprience, but if I sit down and pull the suit off my legs so the legs are inside-out once off that it saves me quite a bit of frustration....my suit has ankle zips and an inner cuff with smooth skin surface, boy is it a pain in the arse if I forget to open those zippers when doffing my suit, but when I do open them it comes off fairly easy.

-Z

Perhaps a suit with ankle zippers like the Cressi Endurance.
Here is a discussion thread that might give you some more ideas:
Glad I came across this thread. I traded my falling apart 3mm wetsuit for a hat at the dive shop I dove with last year and only have a shorty at the moment. Will eventually be looking to purchase a new 3mm. Never thought about about ankle zippers before.

There were a couple of posts in the thread shared above questioning the purpose of the zippers. When it comes to the loss of flexibility, a sore back, a beer gut, etc..., it seems the zippers would make it a lot easier to don and remove a wetsuit. Are there any negatives?

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom