What wing for small doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin, currently my only wing is a 55 pound Zeagle, which is a nice fit for my lp108's, and not a bad fit for my double 72's. I've just picked up a set of double Faber lp45's for use as my primary "recreational" diving tanks, and I'm pretty certain the 55 pound wing is a little overkill lol. What do you suggest for this? I was looking at your LCD30 thinking it might be wide enough for the double 45's and still be able to handle a single tank when I'm in the pool helping with dive classes.

Thanks,
Jim

Tobin one more question, you mentioned having a mount for a 6cf argon bottle, do you have any pictures of that? I can't seem to find it on your website.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Tobin, currently my only wing is a 55 pound Zeagle, which is a nice fit for my lp108's, and not a bad fit for my double 72's. I've just picked up a set of double Faber lp45's for use as my primary "recreational" diving tanks, and I'm pretty certain the 55 pound wing is a little overkill lol. What do you suggest for this? I was looking at your LCD30 thinking it might be wide enough for the double 45's and still be able to handle a single tank when I'm in the pool helping with dive classes.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, Forgive my delay in responding. I would not recommend any of our singles wing for use with any type of doubles. The center panel in our singles wings is only about 3" wide. Any doubles, even your 45's will constrain the wing.

I have made a few 25 lbs "doubles" wings for use with doubled 45's, but these have a ~8 3/4 wide center panel. What's the Center to center distance on your 45's?

I don't have any pics of the argon mounts. It's basically a loop of 2" webbing joined by a grommet that secures to the edge of the plate. The 6 cuft Lux bottles are a slip fit. A piece of bungee loops around the valve to keep the tank from slipping out.

Tobin

No problem about the delay. I'm using a standard 215mm manifold on my doubles. What is the smallest doubles wing you make standard? As for the argon mount, do you have a price for it?

Thanks again,
JIm

No problem about the delay. I'm using a standard 215mm manifold on my doubles. What is the smallest doubles wing you make standard? As for the argon mount, do you have a price for it?

Thanks again,
JIm

Jim,

The smallest doubles wing we routinely produce is the Torus 38. It is designed for 215 mm spacing.

The argon mounts are $17, and that includes the mounting hardware to secure to your plate.

Tobin

Would the 38 pound wing be suitable for use with both the 45's and my 72's? I wouldn't mind leaving my 55 pound wing just for my big tanks. I would be diving with a stainless backplate and a drysuit.

Would the 38 pound wing be suitable for use with both the 45's and my 72's? I wouldn't mind leaving my 55 pound wing just for my big tanks. I would be diving with a stainless backplate and a drysuit.

As log as your exposure suit is not more than about 26 lbs positive the 38 would be enough for your 72's.

The 38 is likely more than you need for the double 45's, but not by a huge amount. Should be fine.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom