What would you do if you saw someone diving a tank marked "For paintball use only"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "smart" folks here where I live and dive who fill air gun tanks don't follow ANY safety standards including not using proper oils or filters when filling tanks for the air gun people. If I see somebody using tanks meant for paint balls or air guns to go scuba diving here in Libya, I'd say something to make sure that they know what they are doing. I don't want people to get hurt, not even stupid people. It will just reflect badly on us, the people that know what they are doing.

Sorry I'm confused your saying where you live the dive shops don't follow any safety standards or use filters? Im no scuba tank filling expert but I have spent my fair share of time in the back of dive centers filling tanks so I am fairly familiar with the process and equipment.
If someone comes in and wants a tank filled to be used for paintball or airgun tanks it would just be filled with the exact same scuba breathing quality air as any other scuba divers tank. Your not going to remove the filters and change safety standards just to fill some guys single tanks. Your just going to hook the tank up to the whip and fill it.

Sorry I'm confused your saying where you live the dive shops don't follow any safety standards or use filters? Im no scuba tank filling expert but I have spent my fair share of time in the back of dive centers filling tanks so I am fairly familiar with the process and equipment.
If someone comes in and wants a tank filled to be used for paintball or airgun tanks it would just be filled with the exact same scuba breathing quality air as any other scuba divers tank. Your not going to remove the filters and change safety standards just to fill some guys single tanks. Your just going to hook the tank up to the whip and fill it.

No, the places that fill tanks for air guns/paint ball tanks are different from the places that fill scuba tanks with breathing air here. There are no dive shops here similar to what you have. It is just some guys that have compressors in their home or club or outdoors stores. The guys that fill air guns/paint ball tanks use regular oil and don't change filters in their compressors. The guys that fill scuba tanks with breathing air for scuba divers I know use proper oil and filters (usually). The ones I deal with, I inspect their set up and test their air with my CO tester when filling from them (the ones that specialize in filling scuba tanks with breathing air for scuba divers).

My thought, going off the other thread, is how could a non-certified diver get fills. My LDS fills paintball tanks with the same air they fill dive tanks with, but requires the sticker.

In the scenario I am thinking of they are competent but not certified, but the only indication of this is the sticker.

Now that makes sense and is a very good point. I never thought of that scenario. Fair point.

No, the places that fill tanks for air guns/paint ball tanks are different from the places that fill scuba tanks with breathing air here. There are no dive shops here similar to what you have. It is just some guys that have compressors in their home or club or outdoors stores. The guys that fill air guns/paint ball tanks use regular oil and don't change filters in their compressors. The guys that fill scuba tanks with breathing air for scuba divers I know use proper oil and filters (usually). The ones I deal with, I inspect their set up and test their air with my CO tester when filling from them (the ones that specialize in filling scuba tanks with breathing air for scuba divers).

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Yeah where I am at everyone just gets scuba tanks filled at scuba shops with scuba air its a quick and easy $8.

I'd call the scuba police. 100%.
They would come with sirens.

Waaaa-Waaaa Waaa-Waaa

I've seen bottles with surf shop stickers, bar stickers, college stickers, church stickers and not one single individual has voiced objection to those not being used for surfing, drinking/picking up the romantic interest of the night, pulling all-night study sessions/beer-bong frat parties, or taking communion.

They come off if I'm asked to do an inspection. (Not because I object to that or any other sticker, but I need to see what's under them.) After I'm done, they can feel free to re-apply whatever sticker they wish. My VIP stickers only apply to the tank's condition at the moment I respin the valve back on and give it a little bit of a fill.

The only indication marking that a bottle can't be used for scuba is when the certification stamping is XXXXXed out. (or expired special permit)

Assuming they were not my buddy, I wouldn't say a thing. If it were my buddy's tank, I'd poke fun but would also realize there was a perfectly good explanation. Given that I was willing to buddy with the individual, I already have confidence in them as a diver otherwise I'd just dive solo.

Reactions: EdC
What would you do if you were in a paintball range, and you see someone charging their gun from a tank which has a sticker on it that says, "For diving use only"?!
:) :) :)
Just joking :) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom