What Would You Do In This Case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would stay with the floundering diver on the surface. He clearly needed the help. The diver who descended alone? He made his own choice to be a solo diver. So... no problem with him.

Umm, the number of my posts exceeds the number of my dives by a factor of 13.72.

Is that bad? Am I a desktop diver?!

Umm, the number of my posts exceeds the number of my dives by a factor of 13.72.

Is that bad? Am I a desktop diver?!

Well, there is only one way to fix this, go diving :D

Make yourself a rule, for every post you make, you have to do two dives.

I would if I could. But all this other stuff gets in way... like work... and everything else that doesn't involve diving.

Dude,
Dont do 110 ft dives with buddies you haven't trained with. Simple?....yes DONT DO IT.

I try to dive with guys I know and have dived with before. Often I have to get an insta-buddy though given none of my close friends dive.

Wow - tuff decision. But after all that I have read on this board I likely would have stayed with the nervous diver as many accidents happen at the surface and knowing the profile of the dive I would be angry at the swimming diver for taking off. I agree he decided to dive solo and judging his post dive attitude... had you had an issue at depth he likely would have left you to flounder. I always have insta buddies too and I admire you bravery :)

I try to dive with guys I know and have dived with before. Often I have to get an insta-buddy though given none of my close friends dive.

It sounds like the dive was WAY too much for the team. Once a fire drill like that is under way there might not be an elegant way out of it. Lots of dives that end very badly start with seperations during descent or ascent.

I think it's clear your two buddies need lots of easy dives where they can learn the basics in a relatively low risk environment. As a three man team, you might have done fine someplace else where you could find and fix the many many problems...yep, I get it, they were instabuddies. There you go.

I think you have two choices. You can continue to get yourself into those kinds of situations...or not.

Going to far too fast is one of the things that really gets divers in trouble. An individual diver (or a team) needs to "work up" learning and debugging as they go. You can skip all that if you want and you might get lucky...or you might not.

Excellent plan. You can't go wrong.

Web Monkey:
FWIW, if I have to make a choice, I'll always stay with the most problem-prone or newest diver. If the guy on the bottom is even half-way qualified, he'll surface when he figures out that he's alone.

A diver that can't get down will almost always have other problems later, and will most likely need help even on the surface.

Ditto....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom