What would you NOT store in an enclosed trailer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the climate here in South Louisiana I would be more concerned with extreme heat than with large temperature swings. I can't imagine that would be the greatest thing long-term for hoses, etc. However, your climate might not be as harsh to be a problem.

I have a 5x8 enclosed that I keep all of my commercial lift-bags, straps cables, ropes, compressors (electric), umbilical (hose) and it has done fine. It is lined with luan plywood. I have no trees in my yard (serious direct sun-light) and it has weathered well in mine and I have had mine since late 2005. In KY I would imagine it would work out ok, since the climate, heat-wise, is much better than ours. Another trick I found a long time ago, is to cover the items with an unfolded sleeping bag or heavy blanket. This actually insulates the items underneath. I also bought a rug and put it on the floor. I don't store anything that is wet. If I have to leave it inside, I leave the door open with a fan blowing in to circulate the air. FWIW

I have had fungus appear on my neoprene, bcds and bags within a year of storage in a new shed adjacent to the house. temperature is below freezing in the winter and quite hot in the summer. Everything that was inside the house, regularly heated and ventilated by windows only, is pristine. I am keeping all the dive gear next to my heart -and my bed- in a locker from now on...

FWIW: I ended up buying a new truck, so a trailer is out for the moment, unless I run across a good deal on a used one. When I originally posted this, I was thinking about buying a SUV and trailer instead of a truck due to better fuel economy for my everyday driving.

But someone else could hitch up to the trailer and go. I would feel safer with my diving gear in the house.

I do feel safer but I have quite a hill to walk up from my house to the driveway and frequently dive doubles. It is a JOB to carry my gear up to my truck.

Not that things can't happen but I live in a pretty safe neighborhood with typical Kentucky neighbors (inquisitive and armed). It would also be very well locked up if I'm not home. The theft thing doesn't worry me too much. I'm more worried about temperature variances and critters.

For now, I'm keeping the doubles in the bed of my truck with a locked bedcover. The rest, isn't too bad to carry and the truck is a 4x4. Unless the yard is muddy, I can back it up to the front door.

I do feel safer but I have quite a hill to walk up from my house to the driveway and frequently dive doubles. It is a JOB to carry my gear up to my truck.

Wimp!:D:mooner:

For now, I'm keeping the doubles in the bed of my truck with a locked bedcover. The rest, isn't too bad to carry and the truck is a 4x4. Unless the yard is muddy, I can back it up to the front door.
I also have both sets of my doubles along with a few Al80's in my truck bed,.... but that is because I no longer have 4WD & need the weight, if the weather gets nasty.

I also have both sets of my doubles along with a few Al80's in my truck bed,.... but that is because I no longer have 4WD & need the weight, if the weather gets nasty.

You should have got an all-season dive vehicle instead of that wimpy 4x2 regular cab PU but don't worry if your diving with me. I keep a tow strap handy. :)

I'd make sure it has windows for air circulation.

If your going to buy a trailer, then I would also state one of those portable car ports to keep the sun off it. If you are worried about mold etc. get a small humidifier to keep it dry. Winter should not be a issue if things are properly dried prior to storage.

I am sure that at times things will get put in there before 100% dry, so something such as a solar vent would be the bare minimum IMHO.

Highflier

Back
Top Bottom