What, you want to doff/don my weight belt and BC?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not really a big fan of telling people to change their gear in response to a skills problem.

Frankly, a standard buckle isn't hard to deal with. Thal, I know you're trying to tell them that you find a wire buckle easier but step back. They're really not having a gear issue.

R.
I don't agree that it's a "skill problem." There are a slew of reasons that a wire buckle is superior to a thread through friction device buckle, one of which is that buckling it is much easier in heavy gloves or three finger mitts (which I'd guess you don't use much). Our divers have to be able to surface dive, in full suit with mitts, recover and buckle their belt before going to their tank, very hard (or impossible) to do with any buckle but a wire or SeaQuest, while holding your breath.

Yeah I wouldn't really say it was gear problem as much as it was me doing this skill for the 2nd time in my life (and 1st time in ocean with 5mm gloves)

When we were doing this in the pool without gloves, no problems at all. Nice and easy don and doff.

Guess that's why they say practice makes it perfect :)

I'm not really a big fan of telling people to change their gear in response to a skills problem.

Frankly, a standard buckle isn't hard to deal with.

Exactly!

It has become a crutch and a mantra.
Common gear related answers where clearly just a little more practice with a mentor or instructor would solve the problem.
Get a BP/W
Get some Jet fins
Get a drysuit
All my gear is black
Don't use ankle weights

And so on.

You are right, they are a pain, especially when you've never practiced with them while wearing gloves.

You are responsible for the gear that dive with. Ultimately the gear that you use is your choice, not someone else's.

That's easy to say, but not always true.

Students typically do not have all their own gear and generally do not have access to a wide range of equipment or even know of it's existence.

Terry

That's easy to say, but not always true.

Students typically do not have all their own gear and generally do not have access to a wide range of equipment or even know of it's existence.

Terry
Agreed, in general.

Exactly!

Common gear related answers where clearly just a little more practice with a mentor or instructor would solve the problem.
Get a BP/W
Get some Jet fins
Get a drysuit
All my gear is black
Don't use ankle weights

And so on.
When you can put on a 5mm full suit with three finger mitts and then recover from 20 feet and buckle a weightbelt with a standard buckle ... then I'd agree with you.

If you can't do it, if it is virtually impossible to do ... then your just providing another internet opinion based on a complete lack of knowledge and experience.

When you can put on a 5mm full suit with three finger mitts and then recover from 20 feet and buckle a weightbelt with a standard buckle ... then I'd agree with you.
I can see losing a weight belt and having to recover it, but you lost an entire suit and gloves at 20'!

If you can't do it, if it is virtually impossible to do ... then your just providing another internet opinion based on a complete lack of knowledge and experience.
Ditto, see above.

Exactly!

Get a BP/W
Get some Jet fins
Get a drysuit
All my gear is black
Don't use ankle weights

And so on.
I can see losing a weight belt and having to recover it, but you lost an entire suit and gloves at 20'!
If you can't do it, if it is virtually impossible to do ... then you're just providing another internet opinion based on a complete lack of knowledge and experience.

Ditto, see above.
While that's an amusing post, it begs the question. I don't think that any any amount of pactice with a mentor or instructor would enable you to perform this exercise, but then I've been wrong before.

While that's an amusing post, it begs the question. I don't think that any any amount of pactice with a mentor or instructor would enable you to perform this exercise, but then I've been wrong before.

And, like me, you will be wrong again.

Practice does not make perfect, it just makes permanent. No matter how hard or often you practice something, if you are practicing using improper techniques you will never get it right. However, if you are properly trained and instructed, most any task can be practiced until one can perform it flawlessly.

Go try the one that is under discussion.

BTW: the phrase "practice with a mentor or instructor would enable you to perform this exercise" is yours, not mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom