What's a cave fill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Alright, any of you that know me are probably wondering WTH! But it's a serious question. What is a cave fill these days? I'm still getting my tanks slow filled to 3700-3800 so they cool off to 3600. However, in this thread there is talk of some shops filling tanks to 4000+. Is this becoming standard practice in central cave country now?

I always though a cool 4,000 was a cave fill. Did it change?

Alright, any of you that know me are probably wondering WTH! But it's a serious question. What is a cave fill these days? I'm still getting my tanks slow filled to 3700-3800 so they cool off to 3600. However, in this thread there is talk of some shops filling tanks to 4000+. Is this becoming standard practice in central cave country now?

We'd generally go to 3600 when getting tanks filled.

I have seen tanks filled 4000+ several times. Strangely enough, the highest I've ever seen a tank filled to was in the Keys, not cave country.

I picked up rental 95s with 3900 psi in them in High Springs. Felt like I had a nuclear weapon on my back.

A normal fill for my LP 104's is 3500 PSI... :palmtree: Bob

A translation:

American fill-> Rest of World

‘LP’ fill = (2400 psi/ 165 bar): an empty tank. Good reason to go abuse the tank monkey.
'LP'? fill = (3000 psi/206 bar): a weak fill - complain unless they are using a tiny compressor
‘HP’ fill = (3400 psi/ 234 bar): a normal tank fill.
‘Cave’ fill = (4000 psi/275 bar): a better than normal fill.

Hell knows what you guys would call our normal ‘high pressure’ fills (300 bar/4350 psi).

Still – when my 300 bar DIN valve pops out and takes my skull off you may all nod you head knowingly and say ‘I told him so’. :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

Usually up to 3600 psi cooled, sometimes 3800. Funny thing is that 4000 psi is just 400/200 more, but is a barrier I do not feel comfortable with. It is a psychological thing I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom