What's a kid to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turk9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been going to Cozumel twice a year for the diving for the past 6 or 7 years. This year I skipped the usual April dive vacation and will be heading down for a week beginning July 14th at Hotel Cozumel. I don't expect to do much diving. This vacation will be different than the normal solo, or me and my son, dive vacation. This vacation will be with my non-diving wife and my 5 year old grandson, Jazz Jr. Jazz loves the water, at least in his 3ft pool, for which he has learned to snorkel around. I don't see taking him out into the ocean other than in a very shallow, somewhat enclosed area, such as what I have read possibly exists at the National Park. So, what is a grandfather to do to ensure this 5 year old is entertained for a week?

Pool time at the hotel? Sure, he loves going into the pool.
Submarine excursion? He was very excited when I talked to him about it.
A day at Mr Sancho's beach? Possibly.
What else can a 5 year old do for fun in Cozumel? :confused:

I bet he'll have a blast just playing in the pool and the sand. Buy some beach toys (buckets, shovels and all) once you get there. Take him to the park to play. In July there will most likely be other kids there at the hotel for him to play with. How lucky to be spending a whole week with your grandson in Cozumel. We'd love to get our's down there sometime. Enjoy!

The good thing about 5 year olds is that they are easily entertained so long as they have your undivided attention and it's all about them and playing and meeting other kids to play with. Maybe go to the east side one day or two for beachcombing? At Mega or Chedraui you can pick up some kiddie beach toys, crayons, paper etc for drawing and colouring to record what he sees and does. I'd bring a few of his favourite books from home to read to him if he likes that for naps and bed time. If he likes horses, I have a friend with a horse sanctuary and centre for riding therapy for disabled children on the island and you could take a trip there, feed them carrots and apples etc. (and even make a donation of time or money to the cause. Although on 2nd thought, the time donation is a bad idea if you are trying to keep an eye on a 5 year old so he doesn't get stepped on.)

The good thing about 5 year olds is that they are easily entertained so long as they have your undivided attention and it's all about them and playing and meeting other kids to play with.

Sounds like me.....

Here are a few ideas:

Visit the square on Sunday evening. Take along some liquid bubbles (or purchase there if Mega or Chedraui handles them), or items such as a jump rope, hula hoop, etc. The toys could then be given to his new friends !

How about a boat ride ? There are several tour operators to choose from.

Kite flying on the beach ? Take along or purchase there a few inexpensive kites to share with other children. This would be a fun way to spend a morning or afternoon.

Hire a taxi for the day or rental car if you choose and visit the lighthouse at Punta Sur. The climb to the top would be an adventure for a 5 year old. Then, continue on to East side of the island, especially on Sunday morning. Many families gather there to enjoy the beach and water fun. Look for the areas where families are gathering close to shore. Take along some water toys, pails, shovels in order to build some sandcastles.

Visit the museum in town. There are things to look at that a 5 year old would find interesting for about an hour. Perhaps use this time to merely relax and get out of the heat for awhile.

Shopping with his own money. Head on up to Los Cinco Sols, @ Pancho's Backyard. The shop there has many things to look at. The shop employees there are also dressed in beautiful white dresses that would be interesting to see as well. While you are Pancho's Backyard, perhaps grab a lunch or special ice cream dessert.

Best Wishes to you and your wife as you enjoy your time with your grandson and for the many wonderful memories he will have from this most exciting vacation.

Sue

Reactions: MMM
Great suggestions from all,

Thank you for all the info and suggestions. The tension in my neck has receded and I am now thinking it may just be possible to keep Jazz Jr happily occupied for the entire week. In fact, even without diving every day, I just might have fun too!

Many Thanks to all,
Turk9

Let me save you some headache and throw out making SURE he has a UV swim shirt......:

UV Skinz: Sunblock clothing, uv sun protection with swim shirts and uv protection clothing

Sooooooo worth the $ for a kid! They are hard to keep proper sun screen on - and this will save you some serious crankiness from a possible sun burn being you are going in July which is scorchingly hot down there. I personally wear one (long sleeve) and they are a life saver!!!!!!!!! Have them for both my kids who we took last year and they would go shirtless for a while but by afternoon after lunch they would wear them during the hottest part of the day. NO SUNBURNS! And a lot less heat/sun related issues than before we got them!

As other have said, go to Mega or Chedrui and get sand toys, maybe some inflatables for him to play with. Leave them with the kids club when you leave.

Chakanaab may be a good place to take him for an intro to the ocean snorkeling. The water at the Hotel Coz can be pretty rough.

Let me save you some headache and throw out making SURE he has a UV swim shirt......:

UV Skinz: Sunblock clothing, uv sun protection with swim shirts and uv protection clothing

Sooooooo worth the $ for a kid! They are hard to keep proper sun screen on - and this will save you some serious crankiness from a possible sun burn being you are going in July which is scorchingly hot down there. I personally wear one (long sleeve) and they are a life saver!!!!!!!!! Have them for both my kids who we took last year and they would go shirtless for a while but by afternoon after lunch they would wear them during the hottest part of the day. NO SUNBURNS! And a lot less heat/sun related issues than before we got them!

Good Point!

If I know my grandson, getting him out of the water and sun will be like pulling teeth. I will follow-up on this recommendation for sure.

Thank You,
Turk9

Back
Top Bottom