What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starboard Tack:
Thanks much, all. I'm looking forward to the closeups with the locals.:D
Don't know where you are in Orange County, but Jeff Bozanic lives around Huntington Beach, sometimes teaches out of Beach Cities Scuba. I highly recommend his book "Mastering Rebreathers".

However I highly recommend Scuba Schools of America in Montclair. It's a bit of a drive, but well worth it. Rusty Berry runs a tight ship, and has top RB support. He's a dealer for AP/SDS (Inspiration and Evolution CCRs), Jetsam (Kiss CCRs) and Dräger. Stocks supplies and parts, frequently has units in stock, too. Very good training and service facility, I have friends UPS their gear (regs etc) to his shop for service when they can't find the time for drop of or pick up. He also has regular boat trips catering to rebreather divers.

Also, check with him as he usually holds several RB tryouts a year.
Intro lecture about RBs and the models on hand, then of to the pool for some in-water time.
Lots of fun, and in the past at least Rusty offered them for free.

I would second Bozanic's book too - that's one I read before I did my RB training. The book talks about a number of different brands of RBs, but nothing about AP Inspo/Evo. Unless there's a revised edition, perhaps. Good read nonetheless.

I asked Jeff about that, for some reason or other AP at the time didn't show much intrest of being included in the book, and Jeff didn't dive their rebreathers. That has changed since, he's an instructor for the Inspo and Evo (as well as PRISM, MK15.5, Optima, LAR V, Azimuth, Dolphin and Ray) and has done several trips with SDS certifying new students.

So I'm pretty sure that when the book goes into its second edition units from AP and DiveRite will be included.

There is a new book out on Inspo diving that's pretty good. Picked it up at a dive show, it was on sale at the AP booth. Mostly about the Inspo Classic though.
More info at http://www.divingwithoutbubbles.com/

I live near by and actually work in HB. At least that's where I get paid to spend a lot of time dry.:D

I'll grab both of Jeff's books. I meant to do that a while ago, but it slipped my mind. A lot of stuff does that these days:huh:

I met Rusty at the dive show last year or the year before in Long Beach. He seemed pretty sharp. I'll have to make a run up there some time and check out his shop. As for instruction, one of my Techie buddies is lining me up with one of his non-believer friends that teaches Draeger. I forget the name, but I'll get it and do some research before I decide who to get for my instruction.

You guys have fun and I appreciate all of the info.

Hey Stephan....what happened to your KISS? You can email directly if you want to..I don't look at the boards much....maybe once every two months.

Just let me know when you want to do a CCR tryout in our pool. We charge you for absorbant and your o2....my time.....is freeee.

Back
Top Bottom