what's a secondary way of securing a wirst computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlitt

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard stories where people have lost their wrist computer druing dives because of breakage or failure of their straps. What's a bullet proof way to add additional security on top of the original wrist band?

Ditch the wrist strap and rig up two pieces of bungee cord instead. It's more reliable and is quicker and easier to put on and take off.

You can put a hole throught the strap (use a punch or a soldering iron) and then fix a lanyard to this. If the strap breaks or comes undone your computer should stay joined to your wrist.

Originally posted by GP
Ditch the wrist strap and rig up two pieces of bungee cord instead. It's more reliable and is quicker and easier to put on and take off.

Exactly! If I had my digi cam with me, I could take a picture of my compass done like this. Maybe I can get one tonight. This way works great.

Pardon my ignorance, but which type of bungee and how is this accomplish - pics anyone?

Superglue! Bonds skin instantly :jester:

I was thinking about usuing a small elastic bungee through a couple of the strap holes.

Originally posted by rlitt
Pardon my ignorance, but which type of bungee and how is this accomplish - pics anyone?
I use 1/8" bungee cord. I have a Suunto Vyper computer and what I did was remove the watch pins and strap and tied a knot on each end of the bungee cord. Then I threaded fish line several times through the little holes where the watch pins would normally go and tied down the bungee cord with the fish line. Works great and is extremely strong. If you want to Private Message me your email I would be happy to email pics of my computer rigged up this way. Another way to do it is to run bungee cord underneath the watch pins but IMO the watch pins are still a potential failure point as they could pop out with enough force.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom