What's after Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really like diving Breakwater. It is a good dive for a newbie, lots to see, not too deep and great place to practice nav and just diving.

So, I've done a total of 10 dives there and am doing 4 more this weekend (for my AOW; drysuit, nav and night / limited vis). I haven't been to any of the other dive spots in Monterey.

So, where is a good "beginner" place to dive aside from Breakwater and how many dives should I put in there before moving on? I'm fairly comfortable in the water, but am less certain on entries / exits in rougher conditions ... since it has pretty much been glassy when we have been there.

Thanks,

Mark

mweitz:
I really like diving Breakwater. It is a good dive for a newbie, lots to see, not too deep and great place to practice nav and just diving.

So, I've done a total of 10 dives there and am doing 4 more this weekend (for my AOW; drysuit, nav and night / limited vis). I haven't been to any of the other dive spots in Monterey.

So, where is a good "beginner" place to dive aside from Breakwater and how many dives should I put in there before moving on? I'm fairly comfortable in the water, but am less certain on entries / exits in rougher conditions ... since it has pretty much been glassy when we have been there.

Thanks,

Mark

Have you dived the sailboat (wrecked) at Del Monte? Park in the lot across from McDonalds, suit up, and heade for the white buoy just to the right of the red mooring-area buoys near the commercial pier. The White buoy is attached either on the boat, or only a few feet off of it.

Please don't try to enter...Just swim around it.

Also, try Lovers Cove, and Pt Lobos...

Monterey is full of great dive sites. My favorites are

Breakwater-metridium field and along the wall

Lovers cove/point 1, 2 & 3. Lovers 1 and 2 are in the cove(protected) while lovers 3 is around the point on the unprotected side

Otter cove

Coral street(great dive on a good day) If you see surfers skip this site and goto a more protected site

Monestary north and south-a very advanced site especailly the north side as you can easily dive the trench and get deep very quick if not paying attention. Exits can be a mother in the surf at times. Only dive this site with a experinced buddy. The southern end can be less forgiving as it does not get very deep and exits are much easier at least in my experience.

Pt Lobos- I have yet to dive here. The few times i have tried it was already booked up for the day. Reservations are a must here on most weekends. I have heard it is a wonderful dive.

I would say that McAbee is the next progression. It's right under the Spindrift Inn in Canary Row. Nice. There's also a large radio tower that marks it nicely. Parking is accross the street or in the El Torrito parking lot. Kick out to the white buoy drop along the line and when you hit the bottom follow the old sardine tube out to about 40' or so.

All the sites mentioned are really great sites. I especially like Point Lobos because you can plan your dives according to your experience level.

One tip that really helped me when I got started was hooking up with divers with a little more experience. I learned a lot from them and felt more comfortable approaching a new site with someone who had been there before. Lots of folks on this board would be happy to dive with you :)

Congrats on your AOW!

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, so this is a helpful thread for me. My dive buddy (boyfriend) and I got certed at the same time and did our checkout dives at Breakwater. We logged... I think 15 dives there. It's nice, but the long surface swim out to deeper water is a pain since with the vis at low depth, it's a long swim without much to look out unless you swim right along the wall which can bring it's own hazards (got a starfish in my hair!)

We tried Lovers once, but didn't read up enough so did absolutely everything wrong. Ended up fighting kelp and wasting air. We've tried Lovers again and it's our favorite dive site so far. It's in Pacific Grove and there's a big park. There are supposed diving restrictions on weekends and after 11 am weekdays, but I haven't seen or heard of any enforcement on them. There's a flight of stairs and easy beach entry (the beach that DOESN'T have the snack bar and the dive/kayak shack). If you turn to the right at the foot of the stairs and walk the whopping 100 feet to the other end of the beach, you can follow a clear channel out through the kelp and drop down to about 40 feet. The visibility tends to be good, and the surface swim out there starts being beautiful before you're chest deep. It has sandy patches where rays hang out, rocks covered with invertebrates, and kelp forests. Supposedly lots of octopi, even during the day, though we haven't seen any. In fact, dive buddy and I finished our first night dive there approximately (checks clock) six hours ago. Harbor seals there are really friendly.

We tried Coral Street yesterday for the first time. Looks like it would be a great dive under good conditions, but today even though we aborted the dive after surface swim before going down, we felt lucky to get out with gear and bodies intact.

I've heard mixed reviews on McAbee. We dived it yesterday at the recommendation of our OW dive instructor (we like to hang out with him when he's doing classes at Breakwater). He had just been over there and said it was beautiful with clear visibility once we dropped. We were concerned on the surface swim because we could barely see five feet below us, but he was right, cleared to 30 feet of vis once we dropped. It's a cool dive with a nice reef. Go behind El Toridos, swim out from the beach to the white buoy and head slightly to the right and drop. Not too bad a surface swim. We had a VERY persistant harbor seal with us for almost all of the dive "don't look at that stupid crab!!! That's just a crab!!! Now give me another piece of your fin." It was very cool. I have heard though that it can get really murky there. I've also heard it's boring, though with the reef, I'm not sure why.

Whew, long post. Also, I haven't done this dive, but after the night dive at Lovers, we went over to Breakwater to rinse our gear and return the tanks. Apparently Breakwater makes a great night dive. All the divers we talked to loved it, and it's worth going simply to look off the jetty into the water and see all the different colored glow sticks and signal lights. That alone is strangely beautiful, particularly when you have a fair sized group of divers doing a swim-in.

My mom used to dive Monastery (she was an assistant instructor back before little me came along) and I've heard enough about it to make me not want to dive it for quite a while. I had a kind of nasty time one day crawling out of Breakwater on an icky surgey day, so I don't want to contemplate how poorly I'd do trying the infamous "Monastery Crawl".

Ishie

mweitz:

Thanks,

Mark

There's also a book you can get called "A Diver's Guide To Monterey" by Bruce Watkins that lists all the dive sites and rates them by experience level. You can get a DVD or VHS tape on Monterey dive sites as well. Both are available @ your LDS...:)

I bought the video about Shore Diving in Monterey and there are little snippets on a number of shore dive locations, each narrated by a local diver. (Imagine my surprise when one of the featured narrators was an old friend!) It has a LOT of good information about a bunch of sites.

I am not really into shore dives so I don't have much to add there. However, I have dove at Lover's and it was decent. Certainly less crowded than Breakwater. We did the tough entry with the stone staircase, and the easy entry on the nice sandy beach. Both had depths in the 35 - 45 foot range, for the areas that we dove.

my two cents, and only because you asked,

Wristshot

I bought the video about Shore Diving in Monterey at my LDS, and there are little snippets on a number of shore dive locations, each narrated by a local diver. (Imagine my surprise when one of the featured narrators was an old friend!) It has a LOT of good information about a bunch of sites.

Link: (sort of)
http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmay01/ngear5.html

I am not really into shore dives so I don't have much to add there. However, I have dove at Lover's and it was decent. Certainly less crowded than Breakwater. We did the tough entry with the stone staircase, and the easy entry on the nice sandy beach. Both had depths in the 35 - 45 foot range, for the areas that we dove.

Another page for Shore Diving:
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/

my two cents, and only because you asked,

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom