What's great about New England Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love it because of all the reasons listed above, and the fact that it is such a challenge. I'm pretty sure, having learned here, that I can put up with pretty much any conditions I'll find anywhere.

Spratman:
snagging a lobster is something I've yet to achieve....

and which for non-MA residents is illegal. sucks, i know (i've kept my CA residency through grad school).

I can't speak for the NE divers, but being a coldwater diver myself (of the PNW variety...:wink: ), I can say there is a lot to see in the colder, temperate seas. And each season brings a change in the underwater scenery (just like on land...the temperate latitudes have seasons underwater too...). And you become a technically more proficient diver. And cooler waters generally mean easier UW photography subjects (fish are a bit more "sluggish" than in the tropics..). And you can bring home dinner...:wink:. And...and...and...lol..the list really does go on and on.

It's not REAL diving if you aren't wearing a drysuit...:).

Cheers,
Austin

It's here and accessible and I can do it at will given a few hours of discretionary time. Nothing puts a day at the office in it's place like an after work dive. With experience the required gear is barely a burden especially in the warmer months.

I suppose given the more challenging environment it has a little more of a technical feel but without the overhead.

Being at home I get to make dives with a wide variety of buddies and friends.

Being here and diving regularly it's neat to see the coming and going of critters with the seasons along with seasonal behaviors.

I'm looking forward to some dive travel but in terms of understanding and knowing the locale those will only be snapshots.

Modern exposure protection is awesome stuff.

Pete

Whew! Things looked a bit dismal at the start of this thread, so I'm glad some positives surfaced.

Interesting that some of the positives about the cold water (better viz and the change of uw seasons) are experienced in the coldest part of the season...

It makes me all the more set on a dry suit eventually.

Thanks.

Nudgeroni:
Whew! Things looked a bit dismal at the start of this thread, so I'm glad some positives surfaced.

Interesting that some of the positives about the cold water (better viz and the change of uw seasons) are experienced in the coldest part of the season...

It makes me all the more set on a dry suit eventually.

Thanks.

Getting a drysuit makes a huge difference between liking it, and not liking it. As per spouses & female significant others... I don't see a whole lot of women champing at the bit to do cold water, NE wreck diving. They may give it a go every so often, but very few really, really love it in my experience. Who can blame them? The viz. is often iffy (especially Conn.) the getting up early in the morning ritual to catch a boat isn't terrific + the boats are packed with dudes who clang gear and can often be obnxious as hell as they share endless streams of tired ribald stories of their daring and do's.

X

How about the lack of 1000 people all diving the same site tearing up the place?

Molikini was nice the first time I went. The second it looked like it was run over with a steam roller!

Agree with all the above...but like the bad commercial, "but wait there's more"!

North Atlantic water has more fish in it than the tropics. Yes, the visibility is limited because the water is healthier, I.E. lots of little critters to feed the bigger critters which in turn feed bigger critters, you get the idea. Super clear water is lacking in nutrients to feed many fish.

So along with, all the above, you can enjoy some of the healthiest water around our planet. Hoa!

ckjacques53198:
Putting on a full 7mm wetsuit with hood and all that weight is not fun but as soon as I get in the water it all seems worth it.
no its geting out thats not fun as your all nice and toasty inside..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom