What's Happening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plot:
I went diving last weekend... water temp was in the 50's, surface temp was in the high 30's, low 40's in the morning, might've gotten into the 50s in the afternoon.

The water isn't bad at all, getting in sucks. Getting out is even worse.

Vis in the winter is awesome... best time to actually be under the water. Also, no thermalclines so you dont hit those drastic temperature changes in the water... makes going deeper much easier in my opinion.

A drysuit makes the entire experience a thing of beauty!
I was a wimpy diver until I bought a drysuit.
Now I know--there is no such thing as COLD water, only insufficient exposure protection!

theskull

I shoulda, woulda, coulda, shoulda, bought a dry suit...maybe someday. This year I bought a 3 mil, 5mil, 7mil, and body suit. For the money I have in all this I shoulda bought a dry suit and been done with it. From what I hear, if I woulda bought the dry suit, diving in December - no problem. But Hey, I guess I will just have to man-up with the 7 mil.

S. Nagel

nagel:
I shoulda, woulda, coulda, shoulda, bought a dry suit...maybe someday. This year I bought a 3 mil, 5mil, 7mil, and body suit. For the money I have in all this I shoulda bought a dry suit and been done with it. From what I hear, if I woulda bought the dry suit, diving in December - no problem. But Hey, I guess I will just have to man-up with the 7 mil.

S. Nagel

Most of us have come that route. Had we known we could have skipped buying the 5mm, the 7mm and the body suit and done all of that diving with a dry suit.

I sold my 7mm suit as soon as I got some practice in the used dry suit I bought. Fortunately, I had never bought a 5mm.

All my diving now is either in a 3mm in warm water or a dry suit in cool & cold water.

Keep your eye out for a deal on a used dry suit in your size--they come up rather often. Otherwise, will be happy to dive with you next Spring.

theskull

I bought a 3mm and 7mm wetsuit, dove them quite a bit. Then got the drysuit and for the most part almost never dive anything else. Using a membrane suit lets me Tailor the garments to suit 100F days or 0F days and I'm comfortable. Of course I sweat a bit more on the surface during those hot summer days.

IMO drysuits are the way to go if you dive in the midwest frequently, and if you want to experience the best our lakes have to offer you'll dive in the Winter.

Well, hopefully this time next year I have a dry suit... otherwise, I won't be diving, at least not anywhere around here.

It's all in the works...

Back
Top Bottom