What's in your dive reference library?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene, you are not home and you knew all of those titles and author's by heart? Thanks - that means a lot - it shows me that those are really the ones you have gone back to over and over again.

In all fairness, I just had to remember where I posted this before, add a book and update the links. Internet access sucked here yesterday for some reason so I elected not to fight it to put in this link to where I first posted.

...but I'm a little confused about the whole "tissue compartment" thing. Which tissues? It never says. Never! Which are the slow ones and which are the fast ones? Connective? Brain? Muscle? Epithelial? I understand that it doesn't really matter as long as I understand that the ones that reach the M-values first are the ones that control the dive, but I'd love to know that stuff. Anyone know what book that that's in? Maybe the Bennet and Elliot book?

I found the diagram here useful for building a "mental model" of what this means but the compartments are theoretical not actual so this is only a representation.

M-values were first calculated by Workman in 1957 and then a method described by Braithwaite in 1972. Powell's book above is a GREAT way to wrap you head around all this and while waiting for it, Baker's paper "Understanding M-Values" is an excellent read.

Good luck!

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I use Bove and Davis' Diving Medicine 4th ed and enjoyed reading Decompression and Deep Stop Workshop Proceedings UHMS 2008. The latter is a great reality check if you think we know it all. I just got Deco for Divers a couple of months ago and read it cover to cover. I've gone back and reread several sections again, and again. Some of the figures really reinforce the concepts well and drive them home.

Good diving, and reading, Craig

SEI, NAUI, and PADI Instructor manuals
NOAA manuals-2nd & 4tyt editions
US NAVY manual on desktop and laptop
SEI and NAUI Leadership Instructor manuals
Diving Fundamentals for Leadership by Tom Leaird
Tao of Underwater Survival by Tom Mount
Numerous Student Specialty Manuals from SEI, NAUI, PADI
Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
Technical Divers Handbook by Gary Gentile
Recreational Nitrox by Rossier
Solo Diving by Von Maier
Complete Wreck Diving by Keats and Skerry
Scuba Equipment Maintenance by Farley & Royer
Oceanic and Dive Rite Regulator/ Equipment Service Manuals
Numerous Non Fiction -Shadow Divers, Last Dive, Deep Descent, Shipwreck Hunter, Fatal Depth, Titanics Last Secrets( autographed by Kohler and Chatterton)
DAN Guide to Frequently Asked Medical Questions
Red Cross Professional Rescuer Manual
PADI EFR Manual

Planned in next few months- Oxyhacker's Companion, Regulator Savy, Deco For Divers, Regulator Maintenance and Repair

I never met an Airspeed press book I didn't like (although Oxy Hackers Handbook is a staple).

Along with many books already mentioned, I have continuous email correspondence with other divers (my betters) that contain a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. I save them in a folder and sometimes change the titles for future reference. I got a 2 page email from my CCR instructor yesterday where he responded to my query about snowballing issues that can occur while on a rebreather. There is so much good information in that one single email that I couldn't buy or get anywhere. He's been sending me these nuggets for years now, and some day I vow I'm going to organize them into a book (for myself).

I also save posts and links here on SB, on TDS and now on RBW.

I'll also agree that a link to The Rubicon Foundation is like stepping through the looking glass of diving science.

Rick, that's a great idea to save all the really good emails in one folder. Are TDS and RBW other diving web forums?

The Deco Stop and Rebreather World -- The first is primarily for technical and cave divers, and the second is self-explanatory.

I don't frequent RBW, but TDS has some heavy hitters who weigh in from time to time. There are some superb discussions of decompression strategies there, and also some spirited arguments over a variety of diving procedures. It's not for the faint-hearted, TDS, though. Moderation generally steps in when blood is drawn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom